Home Non Cigar Related

Real news outlets

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this has been discussed before but I am asking again. Where do you guys get the most honest news from? So tired of listening to all the bullshit and lies.

Comments

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daily Wire, Epoch Times, Reuters, Not the Bee, and the Babylon Bee when I want a chuckle.

I also occasionally watch the Louder with Crowder Show on Blaze TV or Matt Christianson on Rumble.

Unbiased reporting is hard to come by, so I just try to keep that in mind as I read the articles and watch the shows.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as within the US I haven’t found one that isn’t politically driven. The most informative place I’ve found to get news on a world stage is al jazeera

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Allsides.com is pretty good. They combine common news from different sources and give a leaning rating to the sources.

Generally, I look at a few of the major networks on both sides and figure the truth is somewhere between their reporting

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forget how I stumbled onto Ground News, but it's been good so far. They pull their news articles from a bunch of outlets and have a colored bar on each headline to show who's reporting it, Left or Right, and have a Blindspot feature that'll run stories that are meant to show opposing viewpoints. So far, I like it a lot. It helps see biases in various stories and aids in seeing some truthful reporting.
    https://ground.news/

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything has a point of view, including the viewer.
    These are some of many I read:
    BBC, apnews, upi, al Jazeera....

I've been checking out AllSides and GroundNews this morning and I am liking the rating systems. I send my thanks to @TheKraken and @peter4jc for mentioning these sources.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Springfield News Leader is Gannett owned, local stories display the same left leanings as USA Today

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fox News?

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, actually discussing the issues, novel concept Bob_Luken, but who would watch it? Uninformed opinions rule in this tltr age.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:
    I want someone with deep pockets and an open mind to start a TV news company where he or she hires opinionated know-it-alls from both sides and lets them debate the hot button issues, without any home field advantage. Imagine merging Fox and CNN but no individual gets their own show, they would always be paired with someone who may challenge them. I think it would weed out a lot of mental midgets who only survive because they never leave their own locker room.

Wishful thinking, I know.

And shock collars! They get equal time to speak and if they go over their allotted time, or if there are any interruptions, there will be consequences.

Now I'm just dreaming.

https://www.youtube.com/c/thehill/videos

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Hmm, actually discussing the issues, novel concept Bob_Luken, but who would watch it? Uninformed opinions rule in this tltr age.

There was that one show on FOX where Sean Hannity would beat the crap out of a sock monkey called Alan Colmes, but that's about as close as we've been since Tim Russert died.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim Pool does a couple news podcasts that I have enjoyed, don't always agree but it's all good. I can listen when I have time.

A little dirt never hurt

I think many Americans only listen to their preferred side because there is just so much "news" being vomited out these days. It becomes overwhelming and listening only to one side makes things easier to digest and understand because you no longer have to consider alternative views.

Perhaps our American way of cramming our lives full of activities and whatnot contributes to the low stamina so many have when it comes to newsworthy topics that demand more thought and consideration?

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real journalism, fairly presenting both side then letting the viewer decide the best course, is never coming back. It hasn't even been taught as a guiding principle of Journalism, in probably 30 years.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad but true

A little dirt never hurt

Tim Pool does a couple news podcasts that I have enjoyed, don't always agree but it's all good. I can listen when I have time.

Tim Pool has 1.3 million subscribers. Puts the average TV news show to shame.
    Rubin makes a good living off 1.7 million
    Russel Brand has well over five million!! AND he's funny.
    Tucker has nearly ten million.
    Spotify claims 406 million monthly views of Joe Rogan. Holy crap. He's the king.

... but then, pewdiepie has like 111 million on YouTube.

Legacy media is dying a well deserved death. Can't happen soon enough for me.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

@Hobbes86 said:
    I think many Americans only listen to their preferred side because there is just so much "news" being vomited out these days.

It's Gresham's Law at work.

@webmost said:

I had to google that term, it is an interesting concept.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    People want to know what's going on. More than that they want to know why it's going on, and more than that, because most people have selfish interests, they want to know what's going on and why so they know what to do about it (or be the pompous ass that knows it all). We're in this "age of information" - who knows when it started - where we want to be well-informed. The problem that creates, especially in this age, is the overload of information both good and bad that comes to us, which in turn messes with our heads because we don't know if it's true…

You’re exactly right. People want to be well informed; however, they don’t want to educate themselves about said information. By not educating themselves about the information they cannot intelligently determine if the information being pumped into them from one side or the other is true or not. It is just another form of our laziness as a society. It’s easier to have someone else do your thinking for you.

@Hobbes86 said:

@webmost said:

I had to google that term, it is an interesting concept.

And it applies all over the place.

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sports radio?