Home Cigar 101
Options

Boveda Question

hoghunterhoghunter Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been participating on the forum now for a few years and something just occurred to me that I’ve never asked. I run 9 Tupperdors with a large 62 Rh in each for the last 2 years. The Boveda packs are still soft and pliable with no “crunchy” feeling at all. I use Boveda Butlers and everything seems fine- although the Butlers aren’t perfect. I never really gave any thought to the Boveda packs but I’ve NEVER changed them in 2 years. I just read that they are supposedly only good for a few months?? As long as the Boveda packs are soft are they still good? Embarrassed to ask the question but assumed that since my Tupperdors seal properly all is good as long as the Boveda isn’t dried up. Am I good or should I be buying replacements?

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that if a Boveda isn't giving off or taking in any moisture, it'll just sit there fat and happy, forever. Who knows how long they've been waiting on a shelf somewhere - with that non-gas-permeable packaging, I assume they're stable for a long long time. And it sounds like that's basically what you have going. Your tupperdors are sealing well, whatever moisture is lost when you open them up is probably replaced by cigars over 62% that you're putting in. Plump and non-crunchy Bovedas should be ignored.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

They're most accurate in terms of rH when they're full so if your OCD you could weigh them and see where they're at and recharge them with just the amount of distilled water that they're underweight with. I'm not OCD, I wait for the crunch.

Someday I should change the batteries on my Boveda Butlers.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    hoghunterhoghunter Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. Sounds like I’m good to just keep letting them do their thing until crunchy. Yes, the OCD is strong- LOL!!

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a shelf life on these things? I just throw a bunch of them in the cooler but can they mold over time? I do the crunch test but haven't really given them a good look

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep the temp under control too and mold should never be a problem. But assuming you use boveda packs in the 60s you decrease any chance of mold drastically.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typically you'll see mold grow on your cigars before you see it on a Boveda.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )