Home Non Cigar Related

Thoughts

Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Memorial Day weekend. This isn’t my day, nor any other living vet’s. It’s my Dad’s, along with far too many of his friends and peers. It belongs to the staggering number of everyday Joes & Janes who heard the call, heeded it and didn’t come home.

This guy says it best: https://theviewfromladylake.blogspot.com/2022/05/preparing-for-memorial-day-weekend-its.html

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...

Comments

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

From the dedication page of my Vietnam memoir. All Marines in my company. Many in my squad.
    .Some of these men were killed through no fault of their own, as they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some of these men went knowingly to their deaths to save their brother warriors. All went down fighting.
    I am alive because of their sacrifice. I sing their praises.

Thomas Kindt
    John Freeman
    Norman Hoyt
    John Jolley
    Bryon Highland
    Robert Wade
    Louis Perry
    Walter Singleton*
    Michael Stewart**
    John Avila
    Richard Sarakas
    Michael Amato
    Jerry Gorney***
    James West
    Clyde Clark
    Thomas Chaffin
    George Linder
    Stanley Godwin
    Russell Keck**
    George Custer
    Doc James Gales
    George Coutrakis
    William Rash
    *Medal of Honor (posthumous)
    **Navy Cross (posthumous)
    ***Silver Star (posthumous)

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    From the dedication page of my Vietnam memoir. All Marines in my company. Many in my squad.
    .Some of these men were killed through no fault of their own, as they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some of these men went knowingly to their deaths to save their brother warriors. All went down fighting.
    I am alive because of their sacrifice. I sing their praises.

Read the citations…true heroes all.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...