Home Pipes

What makes a pipe “that” good?

Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know there are many, many differences in the level of craftsmanship that goes into pipes. Everything from materials used, to aesthetics, to functionality. But what makes a pipe this good? I’ve read about Anne Julie before and of course her mentor Bo Nordh…whose pipes will fetch upwards of $20k if ever found for sale. Can anyone honestly tell me what makes a $500 pipe and a $3500 pipe? Is it actually in the quality or is it due to a “cult” following that has driven the price to astronomical numbers? If it is quality, what about the quality? Do they have a secret stash of special materials that no one else has access to? Is it pixie dust? I sure as hell don’t know.

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a beautiful, sculptural, work of art with a utilitarian cloak. There are plenty of inexpensive machine-made pipes that get the job done, lots of mid-grades with nicely grained briar and hand-shaped stems, some high-end pipes that also have a certain something that makes them a wonder to behold, a spirit to them imparted by the carver.
    And then there is art. Something about art evokes love and speaks to something soulful. That said, it is not universal, some art that goes for millions of dollars leaves me cold but moves others, Andy Warhol's Marilyn Monroe painting for example. One of my favorite drawings is a crayon drawing of wolves attacking a field of marsh grass, drawn by a 6 year-old and titled "A pack of bim woops devour a clump of chimney sweeps". I paid $3.00 for it. It has the magnificent spirit of childhood and is priceless.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of threads on lots of forums talking about this. Ultimate answer is a pipe is worth what people will pay for it, but that doesn't mean your $$$$ pipe smokes better than our $$ pipe.

I read a lot about proper pipe engineering, the drilling of the stummel, the funneling of the airhole in the tip of the stem, that lead to a good smoke with no gurgling. Many factory pipes often don't have perfect drilling and some artisan pipe makers will pay a lot more attention to this.

Materials, lots of smoke and mirrors here about what pipe materials smoke best and what impact they have on the smoke.

The more interesting thing I read is that finding a pipe that matches how you smoke may be the biggest thing of all.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there’s tobacco in it and it’s lit, it’s “that” good!

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Smoug420Smoug420 Posts: 61
    edited June 2022

Just like with anything a product can only get so good, and craftsmanship is more important than the price.

In my opinion any pipe after 100-ish dollars is diminishing returns meaning you'll pay exponentially more for minusculy better performance, material, and craftsmanship.

Take whiskey for example a 20$ bottle is often not even close to a good 60$ bottle, but the difference between a 60$ bottle and a 100$ bottle is much less noticeable so on and so forth.

But at the end of the day the best pipe is the one you like, and with the tobacco you like in it!

P.S it's because rich farts have to have something to flaunt/brag about, and I suspect a good deal of money laundering.

P.S.S Corncobs are my favorite but don't tell the rich farts!

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

@Smoug420

On this forum, we don't disparage or belittle others financial situations, either way. Much less suggest illegal actions. Shame on you.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Just trying to figure out how you can know how good an un-smoked pipe really is.

Post edited by d_blades on

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

@Stubble said:
    @Smoug420

On this forum, we don't disparage or belittle others financial situations, either way. Much less suggest illegal actions. Shame on you.

I didn't disparage anyone. If you think me calling people that buy a 3750$ pipe "rich farts"
    or saying they like to brag/flaunt the pipes they buy devalues them as a person or in some way takes away thier importantce as an individual that's your personal opinion and a nasty one in my opinion.

As for me suspecting money laundering it happens in art all the time. Why not in the pipe sculpting art? I did not accuse anyone. All I said was I suspect that it happens.

"Shame on you" so no disparaging based on income but you seem just fine with disparaging someone you don't agree with.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

@Smoug420 said:

@Stubble said:
    @Smoug420

I didn't disparage anyone. If you think me calling people that buy a 3750$ pipe "rich farts"
    or saying they like to brag/flaunt the pipes they buy devalues them as a person or in some way takes away thier importantce as an individual that's your personal opinion and a nasty one in my opinion.

As for me suspecting money laundering it happens in art all the time. Why not in the pipe sculpting art? I did not accuse anyone. All I said was I suspect that it happens.

"Shame on you" so no disparaging based on income but you seem just fine with disparaging someone you don't agree with.

Hmm. Not sure you're going to make it here, which is too bad as you seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for the hobby.

Perhaps a better response might have sounded like:

"Gosh, I never really thought about what I was saying in that way. I come from a working class background, and it seems I've fallen into the Us-vs-Them trap that's tearing our country apart right now. I suppose it's rooted in envy, it seems sometimes like things come so easy to some people, although when I think about it I know I shouldn't judge them, because I truly have no idea what their lives are like."

What you did instead was get defensive, and somewhat obnoxious. That behavior is a roadblock, for you. Not us. Think about it, give yourself a chance to grow.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but might @Stubble been in sarcasm-mode, trying to generate a laugh?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

We're alligators here, thick skin

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smoug420 take any shots across the bow with a grain of salt…especially until you get to know everyone. We’re all salty, sarcastic asśholes (with the exception of very few) that will test how thick your skin is as an extracurricular activity. However, this same bunch of salty, sarcastic aśsholes is also one of the most forthright, honorable, and generous groups of people I’ve ever had the privilege to be a part of. Hazing is a given in some form or another. Thick skin is a must. Waters will be tested.
    Stick around and light up a few bowls…you’ll come to see that we’re not that bad.

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Smoug420 said:

@Stubble said:
    @Smoug420

Hmm. Not sure you're going to make it here, which is too bad as you seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for the hobby.

Perhaps a better response might have sounded like:

"Gosh, I never really thought about what I was saying in that way. I come from a working class background, and it seems I've fallen into the Us-vs-Them trap that's tearing our country apart right now. I suppose it's rooted in envy, it seems sometimes like things come so easy to some people, although when I think about it I know I shouldn't judge them, because I truly have no idea what their lives are like."

What you did instead was get defensive, and somewhat obnoxious. That behavior is a roadblock, for you. Not us. Think about it, give yourself a chance to grow.

You're probably right and I genuinely appreciate the advice. But I'm stubborn and it doesn't wash out.

edited June 2022

@Rdp77 said:
    @Smoug420 take any shots across the bow with a grain of salt…especially until you get to know everyone. We’re all salty, sarcastic asśholes (with the exception of very few) that will test how thick your skin is as an extracurricular activity. However, this same bunch of salty, sarcastic aśsholes is also one of the most forthright, honorable, and generous groups of people I’ve ever had the privilege to be a part of. Hazing is a given in some form or another. Thick skin is a must. Waters will be tested.
    Stick around and light up a few bowls…you’ll come to see that we’re not that bad.

Never had any intention to leave only to stand on what I said.

edited June 2022

@Yakster said:
    We're alligators here, thick skin

Yea

I'm not really chasing unicorns, but happy you found something for your friend. I'm enjoying finding good readily available blends and trying blending and pressing crumble cakes and plugs.

edited June 2022

@Yakster said:
    I'm not really chasing unicorns, but happy you found something for your friend. I'm enjoying finding good readily available blends and trying blending and pressing crumble cakes and plugs.

I misremembered from the other day it was someone else who was looking for it. But I do happen to have a cake recipe from a friend if you're interested.
    Hazel Cakes
    40% sutliff 515
    40% PS314 dark fired
    20% G&H Dark Birdseye
    Haven't smoked any yet but the smell is like bbq sauce with a little Xtra vinegar.

Nice, I have heard of that, I think I have two of the ingredients.