Home General Discussion

Are Cuban Cigars at Cruise Ports Real or Fake?

Cruiser5Cruiser5 Posts: 17 ✭✭

Howdy, enthusiasts. I was told by another cigar aficionado on my latest cruise to never buy Cubans that the locals are peddling at any of the ports (in the western Caribbean, at least) because they aren't actually Cuban. Nearly all of them are Cohiba and are offered to you in glass top boxes or in sealed boxes of five. I'd like to know what the helpful and knowledgeable community here thought about this. Thank-you.

Best Answer

• Cruiser5Cruiser5 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Aah, that's the "authorized dealer" Calvin is referring to. That's a big help. Thank you.

Answers

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

If you’re in that part of the world only buy them from a Habanos S.A. shop. If not, like Calvin said, they’re fake.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, sweepings of tobacco and hair off the factory floor.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rule of thumb is that if it's cuban, it's fake. If it's not cuban, it's fake. It's fake.

Don't look ↑
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Rule of thumb is that if it's cuban, it's fake. If it's not cuban, it's fake. It's fake.

But, what about Opus?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

I saw in an interview that the head of Fuente saves all his Opus cigar bands to prevent counterfeiting.

I’m lost. How does that help?

edited June 2022

Keeps people close to you from taking the bands and putting them on cigars and selling them as Opus, I guess. I don't know, I thought it was an odd, paranoid comment. I guess it's like counterfeit Cuban cigars coming off the factory floor, an inside job.

Arturo Fuente had a whole trailer of cigars stolen a few years ago, though, that sucked.

Well, if they’re stolen off the rolling floor in a Cuban factory they’re real Cuban cigars. What people do is take shìtty cigars and print bands to make them look real.
    But with another one of their infamous shortages happening again I wouldn’t be surprised for people to start finding counterfeit opus cigars floating around.

They may be Cuban, but they may not be authorized, may not be rolled right, may have floor sweepings, etc.

Apparently, counterfeit Opus X were big in '97 and probably continue today.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@VegasFrank said:

But, what about Opus?

Fake. Definitely fake.

Don't look ↑