Home Non Cigar Related

Sad News, Good News

peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2022 in Non Cigar Related

Our dear friend, @jlmarta (oldfart as he liked to call himself) has passed. The good news is his troubles and struggles have ended.

@Stubble was realizing that Marty had been on the forum for a while, and the curious and caring person that he is, Steve found the obituary online and asked me to confirm. Yup, middle name Leo, hence jlmarta, and spouse's name was Barbara.

We'll miss you, old timer. I first 'met' Marty on a coffee forum in '14 and when the subject of cigars came up I PM'd him because I was a cigar noob and wanted some direction. Direct me he did, right to this great brotherhood. And then, the same thing played out w/ me and @Yakster. We do in fact impact people, often w/o knowing the extent of it. Marty and I emailed often, about life, cigars, and coffee; he was always kind and inquisitive even at his ripe old age. Thanks, Marty, for all you meant to me, and to us here. You'll be missed.

[https://legacy.com/us/obituaries/appealdemocrat/name/joseph-marta-obituary?id=35945668]

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Comments

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know him, but I wish I had.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish him well on his journey.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always enjoyed Marty's humor and attitude on the forum was lucky enough to meet him in person a couple of times and kept up with him from time to time over text messages. I take comfort that he's been reunited with his child bride now.

Marty will be missed.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in peace brother.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in Peace, Marty.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Marty, Godspeed.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I texted him a couple months before the Milwaukee herf and tried to get him there. He said he was too old and tired to travel, he wasn’t changing his mind either. He was one hell of a man and will be missed. I’m glad Mary and his “child bride” are together again. Until next time old fart, until next time.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does that link work for you guys?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try this one. There's not much there, other than the date of passing, etc. There's a place to leave a message of condolence too.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marty's last message to me was to say hello to the rest of the gang for him, which I did on vHerf.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in peace, Marty. You will be missed here.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

God bless them both. I knew he was missing her greatly. He had a deep love for his child bride. He’ll me greatly missed. Thanks Peter for the heads up.

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Marty

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was afraid of that. I sure will miss him being around here.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Marty. I'm glad I had the chance to meet him on the vherf on a couple times.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rip Marty. Thanks for the coffee grinder buddy. I use it everyday.

Don't look ↑
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest well old timer.

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear … may he Rest In Peace …

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing Peter. I didn't know the man well, but glad that he is in a better place now

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest In Peace Marty. You will live on through those who you touched.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not Know Marty very well. Sad to hear of his passing, but happy that he is no longer suffering. May his family find some peace.

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never knew Marty either, but knowing the people he knew, I’m glad he had a universally positive experience on their lives, as I’m sure they did in his.

• KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

RIP Marty..
    We had some good times.
    I’ll see you and Barb down the road…

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont know how I missed this and was thinking recently about him and how he wasn't around. Time is a poison we all drink.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter