Home General Discussion
Options

Boveda alternatives

MrPossumMrPossum Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in General Discussion

Anyone know of any other good humi packs?

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago, when I first got into the hobby, I was very frugal (right. as if that has changed) and started using kitty litter. For $25 I got a bag that would handle several coolers and had half the bag left over. I have since realized how nuts it is to try and save the cost of the Bovedas which is minuscule in comparison to the cost of the cigars I was trying to store properly. But it's going on 8 years now, and I'm still happy w/ the KL. Once it's set up, it's no more work than Bovedas. But if I was starting out all over again, I would probably go w/ Bovedas.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Thank you for the insights, I like to order mine through amazon for convenience and they never seem to have any in stock nowadays, but maybe I’ll just order some from cigar.com

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boveda makes them for other companies, but I don't know the names of their products off the top of my head. I think that one of them is Xikar.

There are some competitors, especially since there's such a market for people wanting to keep your buds moist. I'd go with Boveda, but if you can't find them you could try Xikar or one of the following. There's also other, cheaper places to pick up Bovedas than Amazon, I'm thinking auction sites and other Pages.

Humi-Smart: https://halfwheel.com/humi-smart/376538/

Integra Boost: https://growershouse.com/blog/humidity-control-pack-comparison-test-boveda-vs-integra-boost-review

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrPossum said:
    Thank you for the insights, I like to order mine through amazon for convenience and they never seem to have any in stock nowadays, but maybe I’ll just order some from cigar.com

I haven't checked recently but when the 60 grams were out of stock the 320s were always there and I prefer the 320

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check cigarauctioneer.com. they always had em up

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've gotten a few of the boost packs in shipments and they seem ok. Don't know if you can recharge them or not.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

That's a good point. I recharge my Bovedas.

• Options
    edited October 2022

Honestly I’ve been recharging mine with fresh cigars in the tupperdor for the past year, just switching them with my wooden humidor every now and then, but now they’re starting to get a little thinner than I prefer.

• Options

You can put them in a Tupperware with a saucer of distilled water or honestly just put them in distilled water in Tupperware for a faster recharge. I weigh my Bovedas so I put in just enough water so that they don't overfill.

• Options

How long does it usually take to recharge them with said method?

• Options

Just a few days if you put them in water. I dry the outside on a cookie cooking rack when they're refilled.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put them in distilled water. The bovedas will tell me when they're ready. I let the paper air dry then back into the humidor they go.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a vegetable steamer, put distilled water in the bottom and the boveda's on the top perforated layer. No contact with the water and it works great!

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options

I remember hearing from some of the old timers that one of the Boveda employees mentioned that they could be recharged. Someone might remember more details.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put mine in a zip-lock baggie, wrapped in a paper towel, then add distilled water. When I find one that's too dry in the humidor, or in one of my Tupperware containers, I swap it out for a nice plump one.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t had to buy any in a few years. The only ones I ever have to recharge are the ones in the humi. Speaking of which I reckon it’s almost reseasoning time.

• Options

I’ve honestly found fresh cigars are usually enough to recharge mine. I just rotate between my “fresh box” and my humidor.

• Options

I'm thinking living in GA helps.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that's not going to work in CA or AZ, or much anywhere west of the Mississippi.

Honestly, every time I see the title of this thread, I think: "Why?". Don't mess with success.

Of course, I don't always follow my advice, either.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain