Home Cigar 101
Options

Newbie Cuban Choice??

TeoracerTeoracer Posts: 20 ✭✭

Greetings all. Just stumbled across this forum and loving all the wisdom I am getting the last 2 days of reading. I just started this hobby at 56 and I am enjoying the journey. I am going to Bermuda in 2 weeks and will have a chance to finally try a Cuban cigar. Speaking with enthusiasts at my 2 local cigar lounges, I've been told the Chatham House is the best place to buy and not get scammed into buying a fake. My question is what Cuban does everyone recommend for a newbie? Right now my favorite cigars are the AVO Maduro, Ashton classic and My Father the Judge. What do you think would be in my wheelhouse for a similar Cuban? Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide!

Comments

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Partagas Serie D no. 4

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    Partagas Serie D no. 4

Thank you.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoyo de monterrey.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Hoyo de monterrey.

Thank you!

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure, no matter your choice, they come from a reputable store front. If you can but then on the streets..... 60% of the time they are fake all the time. As for recommendations..... try a bunch!

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with what these guys are saying. It looks like your wheelhouse covers a lot of ground considering the differences in the cigars you mentioned. Like 👆🏻 said…try a bunch!

• Options

@Vision said:
    Make sure, no matter your choice, they come from a reputable store front. If you can but then on the streets..... 60% of the time they are fake all the time. As for recommendations..... try a bunch!

Thank you for the insight. I was warned about the fakes and the Chatham House in Hamilton has been recommended by a couple different people and seems like a good place. I'm thinking that's the plan, buy a bunch, lol.

• Options

@Rdp77 said:
    I agree with what these guys are saying. It looks like your wheelhouse covers a lot of ground considering the differences in the cigars you mentioned. Like 👆🏻 said…try a bunch!

I know I'm kinda all over the map as I go. I started off with the Ashton Classic as the first stick I really enjoyed (mild and smooth) and hung with that as a go to while trying others. Once I tried the AVO Maduro (little stronger but great flavor) I was hooked on them as my go to. Then at a party a few of us went out to smoke a stick and one of the guys had never had the AVO I had so he traded me the My Father. I was a little apprehensive because he warned me it was a strong cigar, but on a full stomach and paired with Jameson, I found it quite enjoyable. And think you both are right and try a bunch! I probably should have asked what to stay away from, lol.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Start with the Jose Piedra Breva.
    Dirt cheap and will get you familiarized to Cuban tobacco.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything Nicaraguan

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

This is like saying I'm going to eat some Twinkies because I'm going to France and want to have a base of comparison to the pastries I'll eat when I'm there.

Edit: well, not exactly a good analogy because there are plenty of non-Cuban smokes that are better than Cubans, but you get my drift.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis