Home General Discussion

Pelican cases as humidors

PapaWhiskeyPapaWhiskey Posts: 10
edited January 2023 in General Discussion

I've read of people using Pelican cases as humidors and also read people adding cedar. Why the cedar? I've tried cigars over the years and used to smoke cigarettes. I never really liked cigars then someone gave me one I liked and I was hooked. I dropped the cigarettes immediately and started smoking cigars regularly but no inhale so I feel it the healthy choice :) Anyway I bought a 40 count humidor that I quickly outgrew and ever since I've been using progressively larger Pelican cases. Actually I have several I'm using now. A small one for travel and a couple bigger cases as home humidors. I have one pelican case for the bulk of my stock (a couple/few hundred sticks) and another I put new purchases in for a month or so before I move them to the main case. I like this method but I am fairly new to this so please let me know if there is something I should look out for or do in addition to standard humidification. I have some cedar spills sheets in the cases that came with cigar purchases. Should I add more cedar? Anything else? Please advise. Thank you

Comments

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like in the other thread…no cedar necessary. Use Boveda humidification and trust it. Stop worrying.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coolers from Walmart or IRIS weathertight crates from Home Depot are done if the most affordable, full proof ways to store your growing cigar collection.

Some people like the notes Spanish cedar gives to cigars.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would advise washing the inside of any plastic storage option with a mild solution of plain blue dawn dishwashing detergent and warm/hot water, rinsed well to avoid any residue and/or particular odors. And if there's a strong odor to begin with, you're better off choosing a different container. This rule also applies to foam inserts that come in pelican style cases and cigar herfadors. Those are usually open cell and can be washed and air dried, but don't use them if you can't get the smell out.

• PapaWhiskeyPapaWhiskey Posts: 10

Thanks guys. Good tips

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Throw some crumpled up newspaper in it for a week if you're worried about the plastic smell...but I have a couple and a couple of harbor freight knockoffs...and never noticed an aroma.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a good sized Pelican pick-n-pluck for my travel humidor. It holds somewhere between 50 and 75 depending on the vitolas. I tossed one cooler sized boveda in there 2 years ago and have never had to change or recharge it.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech ideas for cigar storage now that you hit the lottery!

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

He will need at least two, maybe three. Better just buy a cooler.