Home Cigar 101
Options

shipping cigars

whizbangwhizbang Posts: 7

Hi folks. I'm a fairly new cigar smoker and this is my first post here. I live in Utah which I believe is the only state that online sellers can not ship to.
I've looked up shipping regulations for UPS, FEDEX and USPS. These are the short versions of what I've found so far:

UPS - shipper must be licensed and authorized
FEDEX - prohibits the shipping of tobacco and tobacco products
USPS - small quantity "gift" shipments are allowed between private parties. (no definition of "small")

I've been having my cigars shipped to a friend in another state and he them ships them to me. He uses FEDEX through his business but I feel I have been lucky so far in that none have been confiscated (yet).

None of my orders could in any way be considered small so this probably leaves out USPS as well.

The online seller that I usually buy from offers the option of Priority Mail which further confuses the process.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Do any of you ever ship full boxes?
Any suggestions for someone in my situation?

"It's easier to fool the people than to convince them they've been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

That sucks about Utah.
    How big of a box are you trying to ship?
    We ship cigars among ourselves here on the forum. Usually USPS small, medium and large flat rate boxes. I get cigars shipped to my home direct from retailers by both UPS and USPS. I didn't even know about FedEx. It's probably not "illegal" with Fedex, but just their policy.
    It's OK to ship cigars by USPS but some postal employees don't know the rules well enough and will balk at the idea, but as long as you don't mention cigars, you'll be fine.

There's a thread called "How To Ship Cigars" that covers a lot of info.
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/743470/how-to-ship-cigars

• Options

Usually shipping 2 to 4 boxes and some singles. Much of that info may be outdated but even still USPS is probably the best option which concerns me on a different level.

I had a small amount of herb (of a different flavor) sent to me which USPS flagged and actually returned to the sender with a "not allowed" note. There was absolutely no smell and we've both wondered how they knew.

My occupation is do what I want when I want (retired).

"It's easier to fool the people than to convince them they've been fooled" - Mark Twain

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can figure is that the USPS in Utah must be a different breed. As Mr. Luken said before, we ship amongst ourselves on a regular basis and many times they are not “small” packages. We all also order cigars from several different companies that all use the USPS, FedEx, UPS, or a combination of two of them. I’ve never had an issue. I simply answer no to the liquid, fragile, or perishable question and that’s it.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Yes, Utah is a bit different but overall there is probably more personal freedom here than most states.
    Of course members of the Church of the Uptight A-holes still control a few things like tobacco and liquor. There is only one liquor store in the entire valley which is a state controlled store. Fortunately it is large and well stocked with some good stuff. No Pappy but I can't afford that **** anyway.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Shipping 2 to 4 boxes and some singles shouldn't be a problem with USPS. Pack them well, wrapped tight and don't tell them what they are. If your friend goes up to the counter, the clerk will ask the usual questions,.... anything perishable?, flammable, etc., blah blah. The correct answer is no. And it's truthful too. You're not hiding anything. But if you say cigars, some clerks will not understand their own rules. And if the box will fit into the chute, your friend can skip the counter and use the self-service kiosk.

Also,..... The dogs knew.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I talked with a post master about this once.
    He said that USPS allows tobacco shipments, but over a certain amount it has to be declared for taxes
    But also added that if the ask what you are shipping, tell them "personal items" or "collectibles".

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    I talked with a post master about this once.
    He said that USPS allows tobacco shipments, but over a certain amount it has to be declared for taxes
    But also added that if the ask what you are shipping, tell them "personal items" or "collectibles".

The thing is…they shouldn’t be asking what you are shipping. Only the questions that involve products that can cause safety issues such as flammable or perishable items. Beyond that it is not their job nor their business to know. That’s why the standardized question is “liquid, fragile, or perishable”. Some people in some positions feel they have a position of some sort of authority when they don’t. And some people are just plain nosey. The answer is always “no” and any unnecessary questions get “the eye” lol.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Gracias amigos. I have now formulated a plan of attack!

• Options

At least he was a polite troll.

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:
    At least he was a polite troll.

huh?....who?

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guilty until proven innocent. Everyone's a troll until they pass the hazing; if the forum chews them up and spits them out and they still stick around and contribute in a meaningful way, then we remove the troll label and re-assign them a new label.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Shawn. Always helping out. :D

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never use FedEx. If they find out, through x-ray or other means, they will literally destroy the smokes. Since all FedEx goes on a plane, lots of stuff gets x-rayed. @RobbyCruz had a buddy lose a bunch of stuff.

Small Batch Cigars literally DGAF and will ship them to Utah. Some others might also, not sure.

The definition of a small amount of cigars for the USPS is anything that will fit in a box that USPS will ship, i.e. no business-to-business huge shipments. No parcel post sized items. No freight.

Move out of Utah. Other than the golf, that place sux.

Don't look ↑