Home General Discussion
Options

Black goo on the tip

BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a strange occurrence today... smoking a normally good cigar and in the first third I suddenly taste bitter tar. I look at the tip and see this black goo coming out and now this thing tastes like the la Brea tar pits ;)

I've smoked a few cigars... never seen this before. What would cause this?

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard that it can be a binder issue with too much moisture, and read that it could be a stem with extra sap that didn't dry out during fermentation. It's best to try cutting past it or just wipe it off. One site seemed to indicate it's more common in thinner gauges. Yours doesn't look like a binder issue to me.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cutting the tip again will remove it and it will be fine to smoke

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:
    Was afraid to click on this thread based on the title. Never saw a close up photo of it, but @VegasFrank would just lick it off and smoke through it

FIFY :wink:

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing something like this long ago, one of the suggested answers was that it was a fragment of nylon thread that had been used to bind the tobacco together during shipping or processing. Apparently at some point between harvest and rolling the tobacco is stacked and held in place with something like fishing line. Sometimes bits of it make it through unnoticed.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happened to me a few weeks ago

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Years ago, I had one cigar that looked just like that. I don't remember if I posted a picture of it, but I sure do remember discussing it on the forum. Never happened since. I say toss it.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow

Down

Moisture + fast smoking and crappy/ poorly fermented tobacco can lead to tar.
    Black bitter substance.

Good cigars can still have bad tobacco.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope I never get that.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

From the article:

"Even though you may have been advised, it doesn’t have anything to do with your technique, either."

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Love you Tony!

I am guessing it's the difference between tar and sap.

Can I come visit your corner? Looks fun over there....

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had it happen a few times, usually on a cigar with a tighter draw.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had this a few times, usually on a cigar that I punch or cut with a shallow V. Straight cutting it below the tar usually fixes it for the reminder. I figured it was a natural build up, and funneling everything to too small of an opening caused it to bubble out...

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had it quite a few times. Especially with the thinner BLTC’s recutting usually will fix it. It’s from having a small opening on a string cigar.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's a "string cigar"?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    What's a "string cigar"?

I think it was a typo for strong.

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had it on the Bishop's Blend a couple times. Cut it off and continue

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter