Home Pipes
Options

Vinegar

Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something I’ve been trying to wrap my head around is the taste of vinegar in pipe tobacco. From what I gather, people feel it is a good thing. Why is that? Do they just like the flavor?I understand that in a lot of cases it is a sign of age; however, it is also a sign of age in wine. When vinegar is found in wine it is a sign that either something was not stored properly or it has passed it’s prime. Is this the same case with pipe tobacco? Has the fermentation gotten to the point that it has passed its prime?

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

In some cases vinegar is directly added, it started as a mold preventative but I think people got to appreciate the flavor, so if you like vinegar you like it, and I like it.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have often clicked on pipe thread posts without realizing it's the pipe thread.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lids on Old Dark Fired corrode due to the added vinegar which makes the tobacco taste like BBQ.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

that happened to the ones I ordered, IIRC they coated the insides on later runs or changed the recipe, but I could be wrong about that since the rust put me off that blend.