Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor size/brand

SampsonSampson Posts: 94 ✭✭✭✭

I recently got back into cigars and picked up a humidor that holds 20-30 cigars thinking I wouldn't fill that up. I now have a 40 cigar humidor coming that will hold the 30 cigars that will be here on Saturday (damn sprint sales LOL). I am thinking about getting 1 big humidor so I don't have humidor all over the place. I am thinking about getting one that plugs in so I am looking for suggestions on what size, and brand I should go for to do a buy once cry once purchase. I am thinking a 500 cigar minimum.

Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several threads here you can read on the subject. Coolers and other sealing containers will be suggested.

• Options

I have seen the ones and the ideas of using coolers etc, however I am looking for something that would be more of a display piece that would look nice in the house and not a cooler in the closet. I will check out some of the other discussions as well.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pardon my crankiness, I have a cold, and am otherwise a very congenial and welcoming fellow.

Put a cooler in your closet, and display a bookcase w/ books and art and pictures of your wife/kids/grandkids. Being a cigar aficionado has little to do w/ having cigars that look good on display, and everything to do w/ the experience and actual smoking of them.

Smoke more, or buy fewer cigars... solves any lack of storage problems.

Only buy cigars you like. New smokers buy way too many cigars that don't suit their palate, and all of a sudden they have hundreds of cigars (because they were "such a good deal").

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Some good points, although don't have room for a cooler in the closet which I should have clarified. The reason I was looking for a nicer display option is because I could put that in the master bedroom or the living room and get less grief from the wife than if I put a cooler in the house. Also I am not just buying cigars that seem like a good deal, I am too cheap for that haha. I have however been getting 1 or 2 from here and there to see what I like and when I find something I really enjoy finding deals on getting 5-10 of them for the future. I normally have one a night in the evening so I like to have a mix depending on what mood I am in or which Bourbon I am going to pair it with.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right, my Wife nixed the idea of having a cooler in the house, I ended up picking up a used wine fridge off of Craigslist and then got a couple of 62 quart Iris Weathertight crates for my cigars (which do go in the closet in my office).

The struggle is real.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

hmm good point there Rdp77 certainly don't want her keeping track of my cigar spending. It will be a while before I get to a point where I have that many cigars so guess I might just have to keep smoking more till then. Thanks for the feedback everyone

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dirtdude said:
    I took this house apart Saturday morning looking for a stamp for this newsletter. Finally had to go to the post office this morning, it's on the way, will get there this week.

Edit: who uses stamps anymore?

Apparently you.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently not, seems I used to use them years ago, forever stamps, costs can't go up unless you lose them

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure you use enough stamps on the newsletter!

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

Only takes one. John, have you got the latest newsletter?

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

@Diver43 said:

@dirtdude said:
    Only takes one. John, have you got the latest newsletter?

There is a news letter?

See what happens when you take a little time off Ron. If you PM me that new addy I will get you a copy sent out.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dirtdude Thanx

@Sampson

I have a couple wood humidors and once seasoned and if they seal properly they work well.e a wood cabinet
    I was away from cigars and anything smoke for a while because of covid after effects and life events. Almost two years later I am enjoying cigars again. Most of mine were stored in airtight containers with a couple bovedas. No mold, no beetles and the 62 Rh packets kept my sticks perfect. Mine are smaller containers that i kept in a dresser drawer in the spare bedroom. Now I have cabinet in my gun room. It is a nice looking piece of furniture and i dont need to hide my sticks from the wife.
    Have fun experimenting

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

@Diver43 I am thinking of doing sort of the same, either a nice cabinet or I am currently trying to get a wine cooler that I can turn into a humidor.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sampson said:
    Once I get the new letter I could just scan it in and turn it into a PDF then just post that back into the forum for anyone to download. Unless that is not allowed

I look forward to reading it.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    11thGenSoutherner11thGenSoutherner Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sampson said I needed to come in here and request a news letter 🤣

• Options

When everything comes in we should figure out what we need to trade

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a beautiful “display” humidor that has been sitting in a cooler for years. It holds better in there and as stated my wife was not thrilled about having it visible. You have to spend $$$$ on a good one otherwise it won’t hold up well (trust me on this), you will find they are way more work than worth if you go cheap. The expensive ones you still have to be careful where you put them in a room, and it will still have to be reseasoned as needed. Live and learn or follow the advice of many who already had this exact experience.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I ever buy another one it will be a Raching.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a thread around here somewhere that shows a fella that turned a cooler into a wall-mounted coolerdore cabinet. I thought it seemed worthy as a display piece.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Far_North_64 where are you?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.