Home General Discussion

Unfamiliar Cigar Brands

SampsonSampson Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't find this asked already when doing a search, but what qualifications do you use to decide on whether or not to give an unfamiliar cigar brand a chance? Do you go off of reviews, what it is made of (i.e. wrapper, binder, filler), thought the band just looked cool, or just a screw it the price is right I'll give it a shot? As someone that is recently started the venture into the hobby I am looking at expanding past the brands you see all the time while trying to avoid brands with known issues like poor construction, or bad overall quality.

Comments

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it just comes down to just try it, but I will usually consider the source of reviews, and research what I can, and even look YouTube reviews if possible. Bottom line anyone else's opinion will have nothing to do with your tastes. However with the numbers of smokers on the forum you might find someone on the vherf that could be familiar with said cigar brand. But one person's trash might be your treasure.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

That’s the great thing about smoking with people that have been doing it awhile. They can kinda guide you towards things that will fit what you already like smoking.
    For me, I start with tobaccos, mainly the wrapper, and go from there. You’ll learn over time which wrappers you prefer and then you’ll start to learn which binders and fillers you like with that wrapper.
    After that you’ll start paying attention to where that kind of tobacco was grown. Certain makers work with certain wrappers better than others.
    The factory has a great deal to do with construction. In my opinion there’s a lot to be said for consistency.

We’ve all bought because of a band before. You’ll find that the more you get into it and hone in on what you like that bands don’t smoke good. 

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will pay attention to the tobacco used in the blend and also if there's been any mention of the brand on this forum. I use some of the review sites, but mostly to get details on the blend and not necessarily for the review recommendations. I put more weight on Developing Palates reviews and I have watched some YouTube reviews from The Vintage Cigar channel and my tastes seem to overlap well with the reviewer.

It seems like lately, I'm focusing on buying the cigars that I know I like, but I did take a chance on a new-to-me cigar that turned out pretty good, the Free Will cigar.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once upon a time I bought a lot of samplers. Also, there's the Cigar of the Month Club that sends whatever they're sending, which gives me a chance to try cigars I'd have never bought. And often will never buy again. However, from time to time there's a winner.

Next, like Yakster, I look at the cigar components. What filler, especially what wrapper is used? Where did it originate? Where was it made? Nicaraguan? Dominican? As you go along you'll find that there are certain elements that fit your taste.

Remember, though, your taste will change as you go along. Sometimes the cigars do, too. For example, when Gran Habano first put out the Vintage line, for a couple of years they were really good. After that, well, moldy hay is not high on my taste profile list.

The most reliable information comes from seeing what the guys here are smoking, and how they react to it. I'd have never tried Pichardo, or maybe I would have if I'd known that they were once sort of partnered with Crowned Heads, but I noticed that a lot of the folks here were smoking them and everyone seemed to be on board with that. So, on a recent trip to Nashville, I picked up a sampler of 5. I think I've smoked 3 of those, and all were legit.

Mostly, nowadays, I just know what I like and stick to the traditional offerings from companies like Fuente, Padron, BLTC, and of course anything A.J. Fernandez blended is going to be worth trying. If I don't like it, someone will.

Hope that helps you with your search. Sometimes you've got to shuck a lot of oysters to find the pearl.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Rdp77 said:
    Well I just typed out a response…but it has to BE APPROVED AGAIN. What the hell

Well, clean it up, bro. You can't just carry on like a frat boy in a locker room and not expect censure.
    :D:D:p

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Just kidding, of course.

Oh, and Sampson, the way it tastes the day you get it and the way it tastes after a few weeks in the humidor may be very very different. Also, having just looked at another thread, I've given up on certain brands altogether, two of which start with the letter "G".

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a poll/contest that a member does every year; these are '18-'22. Most any cigar on anyone's list should be worth looking into, but the cigars that got the most recommendations (if still available) should be on your short list.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/899715/ccom-forum-top-25-of-2018

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/comment/1121615#Comment_1121615

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/901312/2020-ccom-forum-top-25-of-the-year-voting/p1

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/901831/2021-ccom-top-25-voting/p1

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/902198/2022-ccom-top-25-voting

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tatuaje

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the rare instance I'm buying something completely new to me I will look at the make-up, and which factory it came out of to decide if it's worth trying. Most often I will buy something new from a brand that I enjoy most of there catalog. There are a few CAOs that I liked, but I disliked the vast majority, so I won't try a new one unless someone who's tastes I trust recommends it. I like damn near everything Illusione ever made, so I will grab a new release without thinking twice.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...