Home General Discussion

What was your first box purchase?

TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming many of you started out like me, by buying one or two cigars at a time, and/or buying samplers for some time, trying to figure out what you liked, once you determined what you liked, what was your first box purchase (minimum 20 sticks)? How long was it between your first cigar and your first box purchase? Or did you buy a box right off the bat, and if so, did you enjoy the entire box?
I'm not looking for recommendations for a box purchase, just curious about your experience. Let's hear it.

My first cigar was exactly one year ago today, a Perla del Mar Toro that I paid $8 for at a shop in Staunton, VA. From there, I picked up a few individual Connecticut sticks, then an 18 cigar Connecticut sampler. Lately, I've gravitated toward Nicaraugan, both puros and fillers with various wrappers. Kinda hanging out there for several months now, and thinking about a box purchase, something Alec Bradley or Oliva.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Back in the late '80s I bought a box of Hoyo de Monterrey Excaliburs in Oxnard. It was probably my first box purchase. I remember enjoying them, and I really liked the box, which I still have.

I took a 10 year hiatus from smoking when I started a family and my first box purchase after that was probably an Espinosa.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

A box of R &J candela toros from Spag's in Worcester MA in 1987. RIP Spag's, it was a fun store.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't remember, and it wasn't very many years ago.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 Vegas AAA! 2012! 43.00 on the Sprint Sale!

• Deadstroke174Deadstroke174 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arturo Fuente Casa Cuba

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fuente 858 maduro.
    Nothing fancy or complex, just a solid smoke.
    Still one of my favorite vitola. 6x47

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was a box of CS03s. Wish I could get another.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

A. Flores Serie Privada Maduro might still have 1 or 2.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.

@silvermouse said:
    A box of R &J candela toros from Spag's in Worcester MA in 1987. RIP Spag's, it was a fun store.

I forgot to mention they were quite dry and tasted awful so I went back to pipe and nasal snuff for a few years. But I still have the box. N!ext I bought into the Thompson bunch-of-cigads-for-only ?$, lol.

• Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

2006, a box of CCom house blend Cameroon in torpedo.

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

MOW Ruination robusto #2 off of the devil site iirc.
    That is in no way a robusto. It's a damn donkey **** Gordo. Good smoke, just way too big.

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlieHeis said:
    MOW Ruination robusto #2 off of the devil site iirc.
    That is in no way a robusto. It's a damn donkey **** Gordo. Good smoke, just way too big.

I made the same error once, but I did get a good price.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Significant3 said:
    2006, a box of CCom house blend Cameroon in torpedo.

You've triggered my memory. My first full box purchase was ccom Cameroon label Churchill. Great cigar for the money. It's too bad they've discontinued those house blends. Have a box of the sun grown robusto coming in today. Listed at $37 /box right now. The cheapskate in me made me buy them.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• CommanderDuke1_CommanderDuke1_ Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

'98' first box purchase Cusano 18 paired Maduro in Deadwood at Deadwood tobacco company and like Rusty I still have the box with 10 sticks still inside.

@CommanderDuke1_ said:
    '98' first box purchase Cusano 18 paired Maduro in Deadwood at Deadwood tobacco company and like Rusty I still have the box with 10 sticks still inside.

Are they that good? That a long time to keep cigars

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CommanderDuke1_CommanderDuke1_ Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Diver43 said:

@CommanderDuke1_ said:

Are they that good? That a long time to keep cigars

More nostalgic now then anything they are pretty mellowed out after 25 yrs lol

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Argyle Connecticut Robustos, because they were cheap and I wanted something mellow.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don Kiki red labels (I believe in 1999 or so), they came in a bundle though, not a box but were 20. One of my earliest purchases I can remember. Have no clue about the first actual box-box. Bought my first expensive humadors from Cuban Crafters as well. Total rookie move lol.

@CAcigarguy007 said:
    Don Kiki red labels (I believe in 1999 or so), they came in a bundle though, not a box but were 20. One of my earliest purchases I can remember. Have no clue about the first actual box-box. Bought my first expensive humidors from Cuban Crafters as well. Total rookie move lol.

I used to go to Cuban Crafter quite often before I moved away from the Miami area.
    The humidors on display were beautiful, not sure of how well they sealed and humidified though.
    From what I understand KiKi's widow, Karen has split ties with Cuban Crafters and is totally on her own now.

@Rdp77 said:

@Diver43 said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:
    Don Kiki red labels (I believe in 1999 or so), they came in a bundle though, not a box but were 20. One of my earliest purchases I can remember. Have no clue about the first actual box-box. Bought my first expensive humidors from Cuban Crafters as well. Total rookie move lol.

I used to go to Cuban Crafter quite often before I moved away from the Miami area.
    The humidors on display were beautiful, not sure of how well they sealed and humidified though.
    From what I understand KiKi's widow, Karen has split ties with Cuban Crafters and is totally on her own now.

She now sells under Karen Berger cigars.

Correct. Karen is a lifelong friend and runs a non profit with a friend of mine
    I have enjoyed her cigars for a while now.

I am thinking about trying the K by Karen Berger Cameroon robusto, @Diver43; in your opinion are they box-worth?

edited May 2023

I am not sure about the Cameroon, but have some Habanos, I can send you a couple to try if you PM me you address
    @silvermouse

I appreciate the offer but no thanks, less expensive for all if I just order one.