Home General Discussion
Options

What am I doing wrong ?

I have a Cool Knight 15-30 cigar humidor. Seasoned it and got Humi Care beads, added distilled water and placed it in the humidor. The humidity reading started at 80 and is now down to 61 (about a week has gone by). Is there something I am doing wrong ?

Answers

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing you're doing wrong is using a humidor that is too small. You're going to out grow that thing in a month or two. You're better off using Boveda for humidity and airtight containers.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a ton of threads on this subject if you just search them out. To summarize most of them…use Boveda

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Nine, why only nine? Who makes a list with only nine items? Why not ten? Ten would be much better. Ten is a perfect number!" - Adrian Monk.

(Good info Frank, even it is is one short of perfect.)

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Man, it's like I took a roll call of the prickly old guys.

@Bob_Luken hasn't shown up yet.
    Ok Francis, nowhere in your 1 less than perfect list did tell him about hygrometers, Dollar Bill test, or flashlight test. Such a long list to leave out information, lol

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TNBigfoot68 said:

@VegasFrank said:
    Man, it's like I took a roll call of the prickly old guys.

@Bob_Luken hasn't shown up yet.
    Ok Francis, nowhere in your 1 less than perfect list did tell him about hygrometers, Dollar Bill test, or flashlight test. Such a long list to leave out information, lol

Tell me more, Paul.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:
    DZR

Notice only been once when he joined and asked the question.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Don't listen to all these prickly old guys. You go ahead and enjoy your humidor, young man. You do your beads and your water. Part of the fun of humidors is constantly tinkering with them, making them run good. That's the fun of the hobby!

But You should know a couple of things about this particular humidor.

First of all, the size of it makes it impossible to keep it consistent. You're going to have ranges, and that's fine.

Secondly, the best humidification price for a humidor as well humidified cigars. The more full you run that thing, the more stable it will be. Empty. Airspace is your enemy when you're trying to humidify with straight beads or water.

Third, a humidor that size is definitely a transitional or a smoking humidor. It is not for aging even a single stick. If you want to store and age smokes, get something bigger. Plastic is easier, but again, you can do something with wood also.

Fourth, wooden humidors are leaky. Even the best ones will dry out over time. You'll have to keep your water more than halfway full or your beads more than halfway hydrated.

5th, remember that cigars are much more resilient than the neurotic person constantly fussing over the difference between 61 and 62%. If you're humid or drops to 61 or even 55, your cigars have not been ruined. If you're humidor runs over 70, your cigars are not ruined and moldy and full of beetles. The key is correcting it when it happens.

6th, the acceptable range to keep cigars varies by user, but it is wide and large. Some people like to keep theirs as high as 72%. Some people like to keep theirs as low as 60%. They will all be just fine in any of those ranges. I have a smoking humidor that I keep in the mid 50s. I find that in Las Vegas they burn better at a lower humidity. That's just me though.

7th, it should be noted that if you're using plastic cheat boxes like coolers and wineadors, many guys find that above. 65%, the cigars do not smoke as well as they do when the box is below 65%.

8th, throwing a 60 gram boveda on top of all your smokes or at the bottom of all your smokes in that humidor is just fine. It's two-way regulation and you can use it as an indicator of when your humidor starts getting low. It'll start getting crusty. When that happens, recharge it. There are threads on how to do that.

The ninth and final point is that cellophane is permeable, but it slows down the transfer of humidity in and out of the cigar. Leave it on there. Your cigars likely came humidified from the store. That's fine. If your box dries out, that's what she said, then your cigars inside the cellophane are probably just fine. Smoke one to find out.

I only read all of this because of who spoke it into existence using speak-to-text.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17