Home General Discussion
Options

What's your favorite vitola? and why?

TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Toros, they seem like a good length to have a good hour-and-a-half smoke, and not too fat. I don't like 60 rings. A Toro length Perfecto is a close second.

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal favorite is 6x48. But love corna gordas in general. I also like toros up to 52 ring Guage and robos.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    11thGenSoutherner11thGenSoutherner Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

6x48 is my favorite. I don't like large ring gauge cigars and sometimes lanceros aren't enough of a smoke. Robustos are second but sometimes too short.

• Options
    11thGenSoutherner11thGenSoutherner Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind larger gauges if they are box pressed. Thought I should add that

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything 5-6" and between 48-54 ring.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the cigar but mostly robusto.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Corona

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the lanceros, but robusto is my usual go to.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually a robusto, never was a big ring gauge guy but had a 60 on one of Roman's blind tasting runs and I really enjoyed it so I won't rule a cigar out on size anymore.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    Depends on the cigar but mostly robusto.

Isn't a Toro about the same ring size as a Robusto, generally just a 1/2 to 1" longer? What you reason to prefer a Robusto?

• Options
    edited May 2023

@11thGenSoutherner said:
    I don't mind larger gauges if they are box pressed. Thought I should add that

I didn't like box-pressed at first, they felt weird on my lips, but they have grown on me.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to try different vitolas, in my opinion adding length can take away something. Just my opinion based on my preferences. I do have boxes of Churchills based on my experience with those particular cigars too. Also absolutely what mike said!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Different cigars are better in different sizes, but if the FDA passed a rule that said cigars can only be made in one size, I'd pick 6x46.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of Churchills but I've had fantastic cigar experiences in the Churchill vitola, a Sobremesa Elegantes en Cedros is one example I remember. I'll sometimes enquire what the best expression of a cigar is from my friends since some vitolas a better than other for a particular cigar.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Robusto probably

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:
    Am I the only one who feels deja vu reading this thread? A few years ago we were discussing this subject often and then it died down. The basics, I recall, come down to this,.. smaller ring gauge, more wrapper flavor, larger ring gauge, more **** jokes.

I searched for a prior thread, and did not see one. There's some **** innuendo here, though.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    As @Vision knows I won’t smoke anything below a 56 ring gauge. Bigger the better. The 8x80 and 9x90s are right up my alley.

I knew it

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    As @Vision knows I won’t smoke anything below a 56 ring gauge. Bigger the better. The 8x80 and 9x90s are right up my alley.

Rusty... we are talking about cigars. That's more suited for the Non-Cigar Related thread.

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Corona and robusto for me. I have some toro blends I smoke regularly but those were mostly a price/availability thing. Big ring gauges don’t interest me but I would buy up to a 56-58 if it were a blend I wanted and the price was right but I certainly don’t prefer large rings. Someone has to be buying them though because I just keep seeing more and more of them. Maybe it’s macho thing or status symbol, who knows? Some folks do equate huge cigars with being a boss or “gangster” lol. Flavor is more important to me.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've started to prefer Corona /Corona Gordo, but still smoke more robusto and toro due to availability.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.