Home Cigar 101
Options

High humidity just from ambient conditions

OneillnOneilln Posts: 37 ✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Cigar 101

Before I start, yes I’ve tried looking at the hundreds of posts about humidors. I couldn’t find my issue. So here’s another post about humidity and humidors from a beginner. I have a 50ct humidor with an analog hydrometer calibrated using the wet paper towel and also the salt method last year. Probably about 30 cigars in there at the moment. Hydrometer is showing 80% and the Humicare power stick is completely dry.

The room it’s in has an air conditioner in it soooooo I would think it would be removing moisture from the air, thus making it normal or a slightly less humid environment than normal. Time for recalibration? Normal fluctuation? 80% way too high for the mixed collection of cigars?
I live in the north east so temps and weather are pretty typical, nothing crazy. It’s been staying at 80% for the last week or so.

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditch the Humicare power stick and ignore the analog hygrometer and buy 65% Boveda packs.

Do the cigars feel squishy?

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    Ditch the Humicare power stick and ignore the analog hygrometer and buy 65% Boveda packs.

Do the cigars feel squishy?

Still feel stiff. During the winter and spring months the humidity stays around 70%

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s a hygrometer

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    What’s a hydrometer

It's used in brewing to check the alcohol.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

Analog hygrometer are garbage. Boveda is your friend. Use a bigger one than you think you need. Try 65% bovedas, they're 2-way. Lots of air space in your humidor just requires fore humidity to keep proper rh. In this case, your humidor sounds like it was over-seasoned. Let it air out for a day or two.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Thanks Frank

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Analog hygrometer are garbage. Boveda is your friend. Use a bigger one than you think you need. Try 65% bovedas, they're 2-way. Lots of air space in your humidor just requires fore humidity to keep proper rh. In this case, your humidor sounds like it was over-seasoned. Let it air out for a day or two.

I haven’t seasoned it in several months and it was staying around 70% prior to this weeks spike. Out of curiosity, why 65% packs? I thought it was a general consensus that about 70 was the sweet spot?

• Options

@VegasFrank said:

For some reason I never thought to pick one up on Amazon, might have to add that to my cart

• Options

@Oneilln said:

@ShawnOL said:

I haven’t seasoned it in several months and it was staying around 70% prior to this weeks spike. Out of curiosity, why 65% packs? I thought it was a general consensus that about 70 was the sweet spot?

65rh is a good area to be in because the old myth about 70/70 is bullshit. That came about because that’s an average of what conditions are like in the areas where most cigars come from; however, at 70/70 you are approaching the domain that you are inviting mold and beetles. Granted, beetles are for the most part a thing of the past, but they are still somewhat of a threat. Mold is a real threat and can cause you all kinds of headaches. Keeping a slightly lower rh reduces the risks of each and most of all…your sticks will smoke better.