Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Wagner Group

d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does any one else think there is more to the story that both nukes and members of the Wagner group are being welcomed into Belarus? Seems no one in the government or the press finds it a little suspect.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

If anyone in the government, or the press, knows anything factual about anything at any time they are expected to go into obfuscation mode immediately.

Smart-alec comments aside, I'm sure that factual information is difficult to obtain, and probably classified.

Ask again in 50 years.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Russia and Belarus have a “good” relationship. At least the heads of both countries do.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ Right. We only get to know what they want us to know, and even when we see what's going on, we rarely know the real reason it's going on.

What has been amazing to me for some time is how prone and how willing we are (is it human nature or more of a cultural thing?) to form opinions (and believe so strongly in those opinions) with less-than-sufficient information.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Russia and Belarus have a “good” relationship. At least the heads of both countries do.

That's what gives me pause.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

@d_blades said:

@Rdp77 said:

That's what gives me pause.

Like was said before…we are only told what they want us to know. One fact that seems to have been completely forgotten in all this is why it started in the first place. Russia was not the original aggressor, NATO was. Now before everyone gets their gander up I’m not agreeing with any of it, just stating facts. One of the major agreements when the Berlin Wall came down was that NATO would not advance their military force any further east. That’s all they’ve done since then. NATO was warned multiple times what would happen if they continued to do so. They did it anyway. The result of that is Russia…who was given promises by NATO and NATO backed USA launching an attempt to stop them. It was never about invading Ukraine…it was about halting the advances of NATO. Like I said…not agreeing with what’s going on..just stating the truth.

• Options

Oh, and to add… I’d be shocked if we didn’t have nuclear capabilities in Poland right now.

• Options
    Sethbanks711Sethbanks711 Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Rusty. NATO were the initial aggressors. I also think the second Russia started killing civilians with no remorse, it was a forgone conclusion we would get involved.

I’m curious as to what they think they’re doing, if this is a plot to get all of NATO involved so Putin can claim he only lost because he was fighting 32 countries to hopefully save face? Im pretty stumped on everyone’s angles at this point.

• Options

@Sethbanks711 said:
    I agree with Rusty. NATO were the initial aggressors. I also think the second Russia started killing civilians with no remorse, it was a forgone conclusion we would get involved.

I’m curious as to what they think they’re doing, if this is a plot to get all of NATO involved so Putin can claim he only lost because he was fighting 32 countries to hopefully save face? Im pretty stumped on everyone’s angles at this point.

I’ve thought a lot about the angles as well. I don’t think he wanted all of NATO involved at all..I think it was just a byproduct of his actions. The real angle that in my opinion should be front and center is that of NATO. What do they gain by advancing position further and further east? With adding the addition of Ukraine they gain direct access to the Black Sea which is the main supply line in that area. Then farther north with the addition of Finland they will have gained access and control of all supply points on Russia’s western front.

• Options
    Sethbanks711Sethbanks711 Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you thinking we’re trying weaken Russia? I can’t help but wonder why we would even worry about Russia at this point. We’re arming a pretty poorly trained army with around 5% of our annual defense budget, and giving them OLD technology at that, and it’s working.

Could this all be strategic posturing for China? We weren’t very concerned about Crimea, but Russia and China announce a “no limits” partnership, then Russia invades, and we’re extremely concerned.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe we're just dumping our old weapons so the Military Industrial Complex can sell us more war machines for fun and profit?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 2023

@Sethbanks711 said:
    Are you thinking we’re trying weaken Russia? I can’t help but wonder why we would even worry about Russia at this point. We’re arming a pretty poorly trained army with around 5% of our annual defense budget, and giving them OLD technology at that, and it’s working.

Could this all be strategic posturing for China? We weren’t very concerned about Crimea, but Russia and China announce a “no limits” partnership, then Russia invades, and we’re extremely concerned.

If you’re saying “we” as in the US government I’m not sure. But NATO yes. My reasoning is oil. Russia supplies most of Europe. War generally boils down to one thing…money. As far as US involvement, @Amos_Umwhat said that war machine has to keep rolling and is very profitable business. And with all of the congressional ties to Ukraine it just seems to me like the US government is helping out an investment.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

@Sethbanks711 said:

I’ve thought a lot about the angles as well. I don’t think he wanted all of NATO involved at all..I think it was just a byproduct of his actions. The real angle that in my opinion should be front and center is that of NATO. What do they gain by advancing position further and further east? With adding the addition of Ukraine they gain direct access to the Black Sea which is the main supply line in that area. Then farther north with the addition of Finland they will have gained access and control of all supply points on Russia’s western front.

Zelensky after Moscow drone attack: War coming back to Russia

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66352765

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm personally of the opinion (thank you @CalvinAndHobo, I like that line) that there is a plan underway - that has been underway for quite some time - to put into place a one-world governing body. The nations that would not be amenable to that idea are going to be squeezed into submission until they have no choice. Russia and China are the last two remaining holdouts of any stature, and what we see going on in Ukraine will/could be the means to get Russia to submit.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis