Home General Discussion

HYGROMETER READING IN MY WHYNTER CIGAR COOLER

I have a Whynter Cigar cooler, my digital hygrometer is reading 61/89. What could be the issue for the strange reading? The hygrometer was calibrated.

Comments

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

61/89 indicating what? rh/temp?

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's an analog hygrometer, it's junk. A cheap digital unit can be way off too. Buy a good guality unit like a zederkoff.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

The batteries of my digital bluetooth hygrometers are dead, I just use Boveda packs.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

61 temp and 89 rh makes sense. As temp goes down, the amount of humidity that the air can hold goes down, so your RELATIVE humidity goes up. Sounds like your thermoelectric cooler won't cut off. Common fault I'm those units. Unplug the goddàmn thing. You don't need to cool them. Your rh will then go down. You're welcome.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with unplug and run boveda. It’s foolproof. Folks worry too much about temperature but unless you live in a frozen tundra or the scorching desert, they’ll be fine. My stash gets into the 80’s all summer and I never have issues. I’ve had exactly two beetles, one from a trade and one from a famous Bahamas brand and they were isolated to two specific cigars (keep cellos on) out of 1000’s. Don’t sweat temperature, run boveda and relax.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should also add that your biggest risk with those units is mold from errant drops of water splashing than it is from temps running a little elevated. Been there, done that.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the OP has made no comment, I always wonder about these questions. Where'd'hego?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

He unplugged his Wynter then he unplugged the forum.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 said:
    Agree with unplug and run boveda. It’s foolproof. Folks worry too much about temperature but unless you live in a frozen tundra or the scorching desert, they’ll be fine. My stash gets into the 80’s all summer and I never have issues. I’ve had exactly two beetles, one from a trade and one from a famous Bahamas brand and they were isolated to two specific cigars (keep cellos on) out of 1000’s. Don’t sweat temperature, run boveda and relax.

I had a beetle once in a Lat. Found out that they are one of the few companies that didnt freeze their cigars before shipping. So i assume thats for all My Father, tats, and Lats. That was about 8 years ago so who knows now. But that was the main reason i swithched to the winedors.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

@d_blades said:

@VCutter said:
    Thanks for the insight, advice, and condescending remarks.
    B)

Condescending remarks? Just wait till @Bob_Luken gets here.

He said thank you. Not an incentive for me.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gauntlet has been made ready. Send the new guy to the staging area.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis