Home Cigar 101
Options

What cigars have the cheesy like quality or how to obtain it.

Workin_ManWorkin_Man Posts: 7

Last month I ordered a sampler and it came with a 5 pack of Avo Heritage robustos. I had them before and out of this pack I noticed the third one I took smoked had a very pungent barnyard almost cheesy aroma. I inspected it for anything unusual but everything checked out except the other Heritages did not have this cheesy quality. I smoked it and it also had this cheesy like taste...it wasn't bad but actually very very good. I enjoyed this cigar more than any others I smoked previously. My question is why was only one like this and what cigars have this quality or how do I obtain it? The last Heritage out of the bunch did not have this quality. I've been looking and chasing this beautiful aroma and taste ever since..any suggestions would greatly be appreciated..thanks.

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓

@Rdp77 said:

@Workin_Man said:
    Yeah I mean cheesy like pungent parmesan or fine aged cheese. Not like sharp cheddar or nacho cheese lol. It wasn't musty as I think of must like an over humidified maduro with rich legero filler..kind off like a wet dog on a hot day. Wasn't quite like barnyard as I associate that quality with wet hay and manure..it is hard to describe but definitely more like parmesan cheese.. it also had a savory and salty nuance on the palate..I wonder if there are any manufacturers who showcase well aged and fermented tobaccos. I'm thinking that particular cigar must of had its leaves in the right spot in the warehouse or was in just the right area within the bale..I hope you guys get a chance to experience this so we could all look and find more like it lol.

You also have to realize that flavor is very subjective. We could smoke the same cigar and get two completely different things. On the other hand…you can smoke the same cigar twice and get two completely different things. The way you receive flavor depends on what you’ve eaten, drank, how hydrated you are, the surrounding temp…so many things can make it vary.

Sure, absolutely agree that different folks will pick up nuances differently from others..but I was smoking with a few of my buddies and we pretty much all agreed that cheese was the note that cigar was giving off..with the exception of one who describes it as smelly feet? Lol.

Answers

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
  • Options

Interesting..has anyone experienced this?? I've read that it's caused through the fermentation process and is a mark of well fermented and aged tobaccos. The article says this is quality is very sought after and I know exactly why. Sad knowing that I've been ruined 😆.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had some great cigars with barnyard aromas, but I can't say that I thought that it had a cheesy like quality.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve heard people refer to the “cheesy” thing you talk about and I correlate it with “mustiness”. I usually find it in cigars with Dominican filler that’s been aged well.

• Options

Yeah I mean cheesy like pungent parmesan or fine aged cheese. Not like sharp cheddar or nacho cheese lol. It wasn't musty as I think of must like an over humidified maduro with rich legero filler..kind off like a wet dog on a hot day. Wasn't quite like barnyard as I associate that quality with wet hay and manure..it is hard to describe but definitely more like parmesan cheese.. it also had a savory and salty nuance on the palate..I wonder if there are any manufacturers who showcase well aged and fermented tobaccos. I'm thinking that particular cigar must of had its leaves in the right spot in the warehouse or was in just the right area within the bale..I hope you guys get a chance to experience this so we could all look and find more like it lol.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Workin_Man said:

You also have to realize that flavor is very subjective. We could smoke the same cigar and get two completely different things. On the other hand…you can smoke the same cigar twice and get two completely different things. The way you receive flavor depends on what you’ve eaten, drank, how hydrated you are, the surrounding temp…so many things can make it vary.

• Options

After looking for other cigars that have this quality, I stumbled across this article I found interesting. Now I'm i know others exist and off on a pursuit to find more smelly cigars.

https://tobaccojunction.net/cigar-aging

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I admire your diligence.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    I admire your diligence.

It was that good lol.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I've got some old Osiris I (AJ San Miguel) that I should pay attention to for this note. They're entering vintage range, I believe.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@ShawnOL said:
    One of our members makes coffee flavored cigars by dipping the tip of his cigars in instant coffee grounds. Maybe you can dip the tip in ground parmesan.

That's too funny lol. Although I'm very fond of parmesan I don't think it would work out too well infusing a cigar with it. I've already chalked it up to just getting lucky and the cigar probably had the healthiest and most cured and aged tobacco out of the rest if the batch.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17