Home Cigar 101
Options

Can I make my own humidor?

I am a trades man. Im also disabled and bored. I was wondering if I would be able to make something up that I could keep my cigars and gear in. I've made speaker enclosures and would love to try and make something. Just wondering before I try and make one and screw up my budding collection. I e looked for a thread before I asked

Answers

• Options

@Rdp77 said:
    Absolutely. Think tighter fits than cabinet making. Also take into serious consideration the type of wood that will be inside and exposed to cigars. Spanish cedar is not cedar as we know it. It is a type of mahogany if I recall correctly.

Sweet. Thank you! Figured it would be the same just the internet sucks and I trust the people that enjoy cigars over someone who has an opinion on why it can't be done. Last question actually. Can or should I use glue or a food grade acrylic silicone or just make strait cuts so it's a tight fit?

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure any good wood glue is fine. Once it's cured it shouldn't impart any off-flavors. The most critical part will be the seal where the top meets the bottom section; that's where most failures to keep humidity happen.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• Options

@rsherman24 said:
    No

What's no?

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Irish_chevy_1984 said:

@rsherman24 said:
    No

What's no?

On backwards, but he seems to like you. He only says things like that to people he likes. Welcome.

• Options
    HawksHawks Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

@Irish_chevy_1984 The small business I purchase spanish cedar DIY kits from use Titebond III wood glue claiming "FDA approved food safe, low-VOC/odorless and non-toxic" in their ads. Seems to work well.

Wouldn't mind seeing periodical photos of your process and the finished product when you give it a go. 👍

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

“If you have to ask you can’t afford it.”

What’s up DZR.

If you really are a “tradesmen” you would know anything can be done by anyone.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

@Hawks said:
    @Irish_chevy_1984 The small business I purchase spanish cedar DIY kits from use Titebond III wood glue claiming "FDA approved food safe, low-VOC/odorless and non-toxic" in their ads. Seems to work well.

Wouldn't mind seeing periodical photos of your process and the finished product when you give it a go. 👍

For this type of jointery I recommend total boat, not tightbond. You’re welcome.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

@Patrickbrick I know it can be done, but will I ruin the cigars is more of my question. I know the best tools are the ones you make yourself. But they aren't always the safest. I made a lead hammer for cast out of 3/4" bi pipe, some fittings, and a coffee can. Then used a grinder to cut the can off. Did it work? Yes. Was it smart to use a grinder? Not at all. Is it safe to use? No one is dead, yet. That's why I asked. I didn't want my cigars to taste like silicone and MDF even if I lined it with cedar

• Options
    1. Why make a hammer out of lead?
    2. Don’t use MDF to make a humidor.
    3. Why make a hammer out of lead?
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spanish cedar or any other species of mahogany is good for humidors. Use a good wood glue, like Patrick mentioned, and build it as tight fitting as you can.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    For this type of jointery I recommend total boat, not tightbond. You’re welcome.

Learn something new everyday. What drove your preference between the two adhesives?

• Options
    edited August 2023

Sorry it’s Totalboat, they have couple of options. I would choose this due to its set time and how it cures. It will make cleanup of squeeze out a breeze, no rush to make sure everything is square while clamping and it will hold forever in a moist environment.

Post edited by Patrickbrick on
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

@Patrickbrick said:
    Sorry it’s Totalboat, they have couple of options. I would choose this due to its set time and how it cures. It will make cleanup of squeeze out a breeze, no rush to make sure everything is square while clamping and it will hold forever in a moist environment.

Nice. And I am changing out my glue. Admittedly, squeeze out and squaring had been a pain. 👍👍

@Irish_chevy_1984 I am glad you posted. Ripple effect and all.

• Options

A good set of chisels helps a lot, but being able to fully clean prior to setup is a game changer.

MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Irish_chevy_1984Irish_chevy_1984 Posts: 8
    edited August 2023

@Patrickbrick said:

Good. Being in Florida I'm having a harder time keeping humidity out. I have an older one from 10+ years ago, but it hasn't passed the test of time with all the moving I've done in almost 20 years

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark from the Lou Crew made one a while back, looking for a link.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

Will look for it! Thanks. I tried with some bamboo from a jewelry box I made my daughter. Took clamps off. All good. Tested that it was securely together. Amazing. Looks like a lower half of a box. Righteous. Put it outside and left it by accident for a doc appointment to lacquer and forgot about it because my ride was here. Looks like a 2x4 from Home Depot now. Happy it happened now then filling it and leaving it for a week to find this out

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/comment/997764#Comment_997764

Not sure if this is the whole link but should get you started.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a broken wine fridge off Craigslist for $25. It’s airtight and has glass doors. I use cheap Spanish cedar trays and bóveda packs. Holds constant 69 relative humidity. Also use an inkbird temp/humidity combo with a couple usb fans. I might have $100 into it. Super cheap humidor capable of holding around 3000 cigars.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.