Home Ratings & Reviews

Havoc by AJ Fernandez

HawksHawks Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2023 in Ratings & Reviews

I should be working but... ;)

While I do not have as refined a palate as many of you and I usually categorize my cigars into two columns, good and not good, I am going to give this a go. I purchased a box of Havoc before coming online here and obtaining more knowledge, mostly because I thought the band was cool and I had good luck with AJF cigars. At least, most of my experience had been with AJF blends. Come to find out, AJF blends are simply everywhere! Some I like and some I do not. This particular offering has been sitting in my tupperdor for around four months. It lit easily, burned well, and has great construction. This vitola is the belicoso, 6x54. A year ago all I wanted to purchase were the larger ring gauges, now I find I am leaning more toward the 52 and smaller sizes. From my scope, this belicoso performed quite well in function. Flavor wise, the cigar was okay. It began with a little spiciness, that I am assuming is the pepper quality that I read about. Couldn't tell you what kind of pepper, just that the smoke was a bit bitey on the lips and tongue. In addition to the pepper was a slight bitterness that continued until the middle of the cigar, at which point things sweetened considerably and held so to the last third when the bitterness returned. The bitterness prevailed over all else considerably but not to the degree of a Ghurka. Almost to the nub, about the length of a thumb left, the cigar had gone out and I did not see fit to relight. The decision was mainly based upon my fatigue and less upon the cigar. The advertising review states, "...medium-to-full bodied Nicaraguan puro, leaning more towards the medium bodied side..." and with this I can agree. Slightly stronger than most of the medium cigars I have smoked but didn't lay me out with nicotine. The biggest con for me has to do with the band. There are three that nearly cover the entire cigar. All three had too much glue applied, removing them was a pain, and slightly tore the wrapper. All in all, the price point for the cigar feels pretty spot on. Eleven come in a box and I won't mind smoking the rest but I won't mind not relighting them either.

Cheers,
Chris

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes

Comments

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long did it take you to smoke it?

• HawksHawks Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

Right at an hour. Would've gone longer but I let it die and went through my evening routine.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hawks said:

@Rdp77 said:

Right at an hour. Would've gone longer but I let it die and went through my evening routine.

My thinking is that smoking speed could be where a lot of the bitterness came from. A 6x54 I’m a hour is pretty fast for me.

• HawksHawks Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    My thinking is that smoking speed could be where a lot of the bitterness came from. A 6x54 I’m a hour is pretty fast for me.

Good point. I'll be mindful to slow my roll on the next go-'round with it. I tried to convey that the cigar really isn't that bad, but it wasn't astonishing either.