Home Cigar 101
Options

Turning 21 in October, Seeking Recommendations

dumpllingsdumpllings Posts: 5
edited August 2023 in Cigar 101

Good evening,

Dylan here from Houston. I'm approaching my 21st birthday in late October and have been wanting to dive into cigars. I have had a very unfortunate few years regarding a few medical diagnoses I have received at a much younger age than I expected so going into this is more of a meditative experience for me. I respect the culture behind cigars and would love to try a few on and after my 21st birthday. I haven't smoked before, so I don't really know what to expect.

I love creamy, milky, chocolate, and caramel flavors and notes. Especially in my drinks, my favorite drink is a White Russian if that helps narrow down some options for me. I don't typically have any drinks anymore but I do enjoy Coca Cola and Dr Pepper frequently which I hear can pair nicely with some. Here's a list that I have gathered from beginner recommendations online. I wanted your thoughts on any of these. Any advice and help is appreciated.

1. Dunbarton Sobremesa Brulee
  2. Arturo Fuente Hemingway
  3. Joya de Nicaragua Antano
  4. Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne
  5. Isla del Sol Maduro by Drew Estate
  6. Drew Estates Tabak Dulce
  7. Tatiana Mocha

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dumpllings said:
    Good evening,

Dylan here from Houston...

I love creamy, milky, chocolate, and caramel flavors and notes. Especially in my drinks, my favorite drink is a White Russian if that helps narrow down some options for me. I don't typically have any drinks anymore but I do enjoy Coca Cola and Dr Pepper frequently which I hear can pair nicely with some. Here's a list that I have gathered from beginner recommendations online. I wanted your thoughts on any of these. Any advice and help is appreciated.

1. Dunbarton Sobremesa Brulee
    2. Arturo Fuente Hemingway
    3. Joya de Nicaragua Antano
    4. Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne
    5. Isla del Sol Maduro by Drew Estate
    6. Drew Estates Tabak Dulce
    7. Tatiana Mocha

Hi Dylan, welcome. The Sobremesa Brulee will probably fit the bill, it's a bit on the sweet side for me but would probably hit the spot. The Antano might be a bit full flavor for a beginner, but a good smoke. Not a fan of the Champagne, but might be in your wheelhouse, and the last two infused cigars I'd stay away from, but again they have their fans. The Arturo Fuente and Isla del Sol are good.

You might look for cigars with Mexican San Andres wrapper for a chocolaty flavor.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

No.2 would be a good start. Welcome, Dylan. Don't, don't, don't inhale, lol.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first advice would be wait until you are 21 to engage on public forums about alcohol and cigars.

• Options
    dumpllingsdumpllings Posts: 5

@Rdp77 said:
    My first advice would be wait until you are 21 to engage on public forums about alcohol and cigars.

Lol, fair enough.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dumpllings said:

@Rdp77 said:

Lol, fair enough.

Brother, I love your interest in the hobby and hope that once you’re 21 you come back. There’s a lot of knowledge to learn here. It’s just that with you admittedly being too young at the moment makes it not good in a public setting.
    We’ll still be here in October and look forward to seeing you then.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

To hell with age. Old enough to die for your country=old enough to decide for yourself. Champagne for a newbie would be my recommendation. Welcome aboard.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

I was very confused by this. Honestly did not know that it had changed to 21.

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dumpllings IMHO, me personally, picking from your list I would steer you toward the little figuardo that is mild and smooth (AF short story...under $10). However, reading your post, admittedly, I have no experience with flavored or infused cigars. I do know 'Acid' brand cigars have quite a following and offer many different flavors. Good luck and whatever you buy....Enjoy.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

Hadn't seen those in a long while. I smoked Chesterfields, too, for awhile and washed them down with Schlitz.

Dylan, for most of us, when we were your age we'd been legal to smoke for about 6 or 7 years, and to drink for 3. Probably why you got answers to your questions.

Also, @ShawnOL is absolutely correct. I still find it hard to grasp that people serving in the Armed Forces are not considered adults by the Nanny State *&%$%'s who are running our country into the ground.

Some concepts just really get me riled.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Texas you can buy cigars before 21 with a military ID.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    HawksHawks Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank et al, outskirts of Houston, it was Icehouse or Shiner and Camels.

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

Back in the day, five bucks, got a case of Shlitz Malt liquor, a pint of shnopps and enough gas for Saturday night.

Post edited by d_blades on

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

It amazes me that a kid 20 years old would ask us for advise. Apparently he hasn't browsed our threads. Good luck son.

Edit: Sometimes...ok most of the time I can be a @sshole but Dylan if you want to pm an addy I will send you some smokes for your birthday.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a liquor store in Boston where "I forgot my ID" was good enough proof of age, lol.

• Options

@Hawks said:

no Lonestar?>

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    There was a liquor store in Boston where "I forgot my ID" was good enough proof of age, lol.

We had one where a $10 would do the same.

• Options
    HawksHawks Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Hawks said:

no Lonestar?>

😆 gross.

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes

• Options

@Hawks said:

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Hawks said:

no Lonestar?>

😆 gross.

True. But alot of keggers..... shiner is my jam whenever i can get it

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diesel is definitely the way to go

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:
    Diesel is definitely the way to go

I'm a diesel burning sob... Wait a minute, are we talking the same diesel?

A little dirt never hurt