Home Cigar 101
Options

Broken Hygrometer, could use some help finding a new one.

dumpllingsdumpllings Posts: 5
edited September 2023 in Cigar 101

Bought my first humidor from an antique mall the other day, few problems with it but I am restoring it and giving it a new life. One of the problems was the hygrometer was not matching my digital reader when placed inside. I am trying to keep the hygrometer analog because it matches the rest of the cabinet well but I am struggling to find one with my specific dimensions.

It's an older cabinet from 1915 thompson and co. The middle drawer has a specific hole drilled out for this size so matching it is required. Could anyone help me out here?

Picture may show a little different due to angles but the measurements are as follows:

front diameter - 1 1/2"
back diameter - 1 3/8"
depth (not including face) - 5/16"

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023

https://imgur.com/a/7YdWNeh pictures of the cabinet for anyone interested, very proud of her. $30 later and a few hours of cleaning with Old English she looks great. Excited to eventually fill her up ;)

Just need to get the meter replaced and dropped off the lock at a locksmith to get a key made.

• Options
    11thGenSoutherner11thGenSoutherner Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023

If you’re wanting to keep it for the aesthetics then do just that but put bovedas in it. Bovedas are usually within 3% of what is printed on the package. I recommend 65% but it may differ depending on your climate.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

graphics look identical to this one... also, there are instructions on how to adjust it.

https://www.amazon.com/Medium-Analog-Hygrometer-Humidity-Humidors/dp/B00J21XC9Y/ref=sr_1_23

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@11thGenSoutherner said:
    If you’re wanting to keep it for the aesthetics then do just that but put bovedas in it. Bovedas are usually within 3% of what is printed on the package. I recommend 65% but it may differ depending on your climate.

Boom, there is the answer, you can throw those hygromy things away, just use and trust your bovedas.

This @11thGenSoutherner might be kind of new around here but clearly knows about taking care of his tobacco.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is definitely a beautiful humidor. Congrats on your find.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stick a challenge coin in the hole and go with Bovedas, as mentioned and get a Zederkoff electronic hygrometer.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

@0patience said:
    Stick a challenge coin in the hole and go with Bovedas, as mentioned and get a Zederkoff electronic hygrometer.

Actually a wonderful idea, thank you

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Put the broken hygro back in. Buy a box of AJ last calls, then take the sticker that comes in the box and place it over the hygrometer's glass.

Now that's a humidor that doesn't suck...

Needs more AJF.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?