Home General Discussion
Options

Cigars That Suck

Does anyone ever go through a period where over 50% of the cigars you smoke aren’t very good; for whatever reason: flavor, draw, burn, or just not your style at the moment? I’ve bought a bunch of 5-packs in the past to try something new, because of a review, or they sounded interesting, only to be disappointed.

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think most of us have gone through that phase in some form.

Couple of questions,

Did you like them when you first got them?

and,

What cigars in particular?

If you liked them at first there are two easy answers I can think of. Improper storage. Your tastes have changed. Oh, and one more is possible, but not if you're still on the same purchase, sometimes the manufacturer isn't making them the same either due to tobacco availability, or pushing the workers too hard and ending up with lower quality control.

So, what cigars, in particular? Maybe they just suck and your palate wasn't developed enough to know it? And how have you stored them? With what measures to provide consistency? We had a guy here once upon a time who kept his in his sock drawer.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    KinchKinch Posts: 4

My cigars are stored at 65rh in summer and 62-63rh in winter. I don’t want to name any brands because it could’ve just been my palate that day that was off or improper lighting, etc… I do know when I smoke a Padron Damaso or an Oliva Masterblends I’m not disappointed.

• Options
    revenantrevenant Posts: 6
    edited September 2023

Cant say 50%, but most AJs, Bradleys, Perdomo, Palina, AdC, Cain, Camacho, and a few others are total yard gars for me, that I find foul. But it is all subjective. YMMV.

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    You take that back mister ↑

Yeah, dem's fightin' words!

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    If it rhymes with or jerka or saki then there's probably nothing wrong with your palate. If I were you, I would test my palate. Go smoke an AJ Fernandez. If it sucks, you're palate is fuçked or you're doing it wrong.

This is good advice, I don’t care for the Bella Artes blend but it didn’t suck, can’t say I’ve ever had a AJ blend that sucked. Much the same Don Pepin Garcia, Padron, Christian Erioa, Aurturo Fuente ect. Any of the real deal tobacco farmers in fact.

That said, I’ve burned out my palate before and a little break can do wonders to reset things and gain reappriciation once again.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@revenant said:
    Cant say 50%, but most AJs, Bradleys, Perdomo, Palina, AdC, Cain, Camacho, and a few others are total yard gars for me, that I find foul. But it is all subjective. YMMV.

I like this guy.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.