Home General Discussion
Options

Mad tunneling!

I had very bad tunneling on my cigars this year. I noticed Connecticut broadleaf wrappers were the worst. I tried everything: lowering/ increasing humidity, resting for weeks/months, puffing slow/fast but nothing worked. Happened to boxes of liga privadas, the tabernacle, cao session among others with a similar wrapper which would just not combust. A ton of $ wasted on these boxes since I thought it was my fault so I kept lighting them up and trying to change things so they would burn right instead of returning the hole burning sticks. I am suspecting bad crops throughout the industry.

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out this page for some tips. How long have these cigars rested in your humidor?

https://www.el-septimo.com/how-to-avoid-common-burns/

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve smoked a lot of Connecticut broadleaf cigars lately. Never have any tunneling issues. Do you have any pictures?
    Many people don’t realize it but it’s the binder of a cigar that controls most of the combustion. If you’re having that much trouble you may want to re-evaluate the way you are lighting your cigars. Making sure the edge of the foot is lit properly is key.

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

User error

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even toast the foot hardly at all anymore. After going around the edge w/ a single torch and getting a small line of 'glow' at the rim I light it with a soft flame.

I say it's user error, OP. Sorry, but if nobody else if having widespread issues there's something else afoot.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

I completely torch my foot with a single flame, moving completely around the rim, being careful not to scorch beyond the face of the foot and also the center so there is almost no black when I gently blow on the face. When it’s fully lit, I’ll do a quick small purge and then puff. Don’t have many tunneling issues but when I do it’s usually specific.

I find I get the most tunnels on cigars than are plugged or have a really tight draw. I tend to use some type of poking device, usually draw poker or drill bit and it usually smokes fine for a bit but will tunnel when it hits those holes and superheats.

Another obvious problem is humidity and shipping, running 65% gives me the best results. Also letting cigars rest at 65rh for a month reduces problems. I just had to pitch an Oliva V I lit up that was delivered last week with a 69% boveda. It was overhumidified and didn’t want to stay lit. I probably shouldn’t have smoked it once I clipped it and noticed the draw was tight, it was a waste and went into the trash. I can usually tell how a cigar will smoke by a draw test 95% of the time, sometimes I’m surprised when tighter draws than I prefer work out just fine but that’s an anomaly.

Another thing that I should add is that I don’t waste time on cigars that give me draw problems or that I have to power puff to keep lit. It’s usually a exercise in frustration and not relaxing. I generally toss 90% of cigars that give me issues and don’t bother trying to “save” them or modify my smoking style to get through it. It ends up overheated, tunnels or is exhausting to smoke. It’s irritating to chuck cigars you paid good money for but it’s not worth the frustration for me anymore (I used to try and save them all). Certain manufacturers have more issues than others also, I rarely have any issues with AJ produced cigars for example, whereas others can be a crapshoot.

Good luck on trying to figure out what the issue is and hopefully you can get it straightened out.

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

It’s also interesting that you mentioned some specific brands I no longer consider for purchase because of too many past problems. I had too many issues with Drew Estate, Foundation, RP, AB and a few others. I tend to stick with the mainline farmers AJ, Padron, DPG, Oliva (remains to be seen if the sale of the company will reduce quality), Perdomo, Litto (LFG), Fuente, Christian E, EPC, ect. I shy away from contracted brands due to being burned too many times. Just another angle to consider.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

99 percent of tunnelling issues are manufacturer's fault. The telltale sign is zero smoke production. But if you don't light a thick wrapper like a CT broadleaf correctly, then the 1 percent is on you. I light my smokes the same as Peter.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get made fun of when I flicked my bic to finish the light, now everyone is doing it.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, you (OP) were having this same issue back in January. Did you try any of the interventions you were advised on then? Or, have you kept doing the same thing, expecting different results?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    So, you (OP) were having this same issue back in January. Did you try any of the interventions you were advised on then? Or, have you kept doing the same thing, expecting different results?

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/902243/tunneling-on-most-sticks#latest

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

You all still are and I agree with everything

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.