Home Cigar 101
Options

$300 lighter vs $3 lighter

OneillnOneilln Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I’m sitting here smoking an Alec Bradley and I lit it with my $3 gas station torch lighter. I’ve had the lighter for a little bit and it’s taking a lot of clicks to stay lit. Naturally I’m thinking about getting a proper lighter so I don’t have to continue fighting with this lighter or use matches. Scrolling through the website for lighters, I see some are hundreds of dollars. I can’t help but wonder what makes them worth $300. I can only assume reliability plays a roll but still $300 much of a roll? Matches are how many cents? To the experts here, what makes a $300 lighter worth $300?

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

The more expensive they are, the more disappointment you will feel when they act up, and they ALL act up. One common problem is incorrect purging and refills. Once you get the hang of that, the remaining problems are fewer but more obscure and harder to diagnose. So, my advice is to keep it reasonably priced. The basic traveling combo I have settled on after a dozen years of research... is a cheap pair of lighters used for each of their separate talents. One is a firebird quad torch for toasting, and one is a firebird single torch for touchups. Both can be had for $5 on an auction site, and neither is unique. I could probably find similar types to do the same job from other brands but the firebirds seem to perform well, (I haven't had to toss one out yet,) I keep that duo in my travel bag and I have a separate pair ready at home next to my lazy boy.

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently purchased a Xikar HP3 lighter for around $80. It is much better and easier lighting than the $15 Vertigo something-or-other I purchased when I first started smoking, but it is not without issue. It uses a LOT of butane, and the flame adjustment is finicky. There's very little adjustment between a good flame (plus a lot of butane) and a flame that won't stay lit, especially when the reservoir is getting low. One thing I have recently determined is, if the lighter is cold (I leave it on my enclosed but unheated porch), it doesn't want to light, burn consistently, or stay lit. Holding it in my fist for a few minutes to warm it up causes it to light and burn well. Like Bob says, when even an $80 lighter acts up, it is frustrating.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy with this insert for a zippo lighter,
    https://lighterusa.com/products/z-plus-torch-flame-insert-double-flame

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best lighter I've ever had is a $7 lighter from a convenience store. $100+ for a lighter is just silly.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wholeheartedly agree with everything everybody said so far… Even buying something just because you can. However, the cheaper lighters are just, well cheaper, in the long run. An expensive lighter is nice to have if it’s something that you will enjoy… Doesn’t mean it’s better quality than the cheaper lighters, I wholeheartedly agree that the type of butane you use is very important…don’t cheap out on that and you should be good to go. What I have done in the past is decide do I want a single, double, triple, quadruple torch… Soft flame… Angled, straight up, adjustable…flat, wide flame…skinny, tall, short, fat , round , square body…little or a lot of fluid…etc etc The point is find what you like and buy it. IMHO I’d rather spend the $$ on cigars.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

And he still uses a Bic lighter

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy 300 $1 lighters and you won't need to think about it for a looong time.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.