Home General Discussion
Options

Oily Tar residue at cap cut???

OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen this (or tasted…super nasty) oily tar residue oozing from a cigar from late 80’s until present day. Anyone had any experience with this?

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that happens occasionally. Some say that this is from the binder fermenting after rolling, some say excess sap in the leaf. Most of the time if you smoke slowly you won't get the tar, if you do, cut past it and smoke on.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse hit it on the head I believe. I’ve only seen it with a punch cut or very small cut like you have there. I’ve also noticed it a lot with BLTC smokes. But smoking slower usually helps prevent it.

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

It’s always prudent to cut conservatively with regard to the cap, this allows for a recut (or even two if necessary/preference) and to stay below the cap shoulder (to prevent unraveling). I have quite a few blends that I prefer to recut at around the halfway point purely for increased flavor reasons, rather than necessity as I don’t particularly care for buildup/moisture. This also works for excessive tar buildup as well.

Count me in the fermentation camp also, if it’s not done correctly/fully, it’s a likely culprit for burn issues. It’s usually seen in wrappers but under fermentation of filler can also lead to issues.

In this instance, that cut is too small IMO, I’d of taken more off, it needs to breathe (backflow).

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the tar there before you lit it? It doesn't look like the cigar pictured has been lit.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Black Label cigars. I see it on the Bishops a lot

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had it happen before a few times. The last time it happened I noticed some restriction in the draw for some time and then found it at the tip. I speculate that it’s some natural substance clogged up in the plant. Maybe a physically damaged spot that restricts natural flow within the plant but when it gets hot enough, it melts or boils or whatever. I wonder if it happens sometimes inside the cigar creating burn problems and we never see the tar. Think of a cigar that all of a sudden won’t burn on one side and won’t stay lit, and the relight never delivers expected flavors or decent draw. Just wondering if it’s something like this causing trouble inside.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

Just wondering if it’s something like this causing trouble inside.

And that's why we need the exacto-man, @danielzreyes to come back and check into these things.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1

I saw the thread title and wondered which Black Label you were smoking?

It happened to me about a year ago... walking the dogs and just getting started on a Killer Bee when my tongue hit this blob of tar and I was shocked to see this crap on the end:

I contacted Black Label Works and was told it was my fault for not cutting it properly. Funny thing is I cut all my cigars like that... just barely take off the end and check the draw, clip a little more if needed. The cigar above was drawing fine.

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

My disagree, you were not at fault, Brian.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech said:
    Was the tar there before you lit it? It doesn't look like the cigar pictured has been lit.

It was lit. After about 6-7 draws my tongue grazed the residue and instantly tasted that nasty tar taste.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2

This is a black label special, and of course they told you that it's your fault. Thats the Black Label Special #2. I've had it happen four times. Three times with the Bishop's blend and once with that cigar above

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    This is a black label special, and of course they told you that it's your fault. Thats the Black Label Special #2. I've had it happen four times. Three times with the Bishop's blend and once with that cigar above

And you smoke fast....... Right?

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3

@Bob_Luken said:

@VegasFrank said:

And you smoke fast....... Right?

Maybe a little, but not Jeremy fast. Either way, I've only experienced it with BLTC cigars.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got it with a couple ccom house blends.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.