Home Cigar 101
Options

Mold or Plume?

TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

What say you? This is on a cigar a recently acquired from a pass. In cellophane, with a cedar sleeve (?), no idea of the age. Some of the spots have definite thickness. I don't see anything on the foot. First time I've encountered anything resembling mold, so...wipe clean and smoke? or toss? I'm putting it away until I hear from some of you guys.

Comments

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wipe it and smoke it. It looks like mold, (it's almost always mold whenever you're wondering), but smoke it anyway. It's not going to affect the taste unless the mold has gotten inside the cigar.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2

Cedar wraps are notorious for contributing favorable mold growth conditions. Mold is everywhere. Most tobacco leaf is sprayed while it is curing to inhibit it's growth.

Edit: not approved in the USA, but I have read it is used elsewhere where hot moist conditions prevail.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Cedar wraps are notorious for contributing favorable mold growth conditions. Mold is everywhere. Most tobacco leaf is sprayed while it is curing to inhibit it's growth.

Edit: not approved in the USA, but I have read it is used elsewhere where hot moist conditions prevail.

What is in the mold inhibiting spray used elsewhere but not approved in the USA?
    Roundup? I bet it’s Roundup. I do not want to be smoking that. Everyone gets cancer from that stuff. This sucks.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vinegar is used in some pipe tobacco blendas a mold inhibitor and gives it a tangy flavor, but there's also another chemical that's used that when dry can look a little like mold if it's over-applied. Not sure what's used on cigars.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roundup kills everything. I bet it’s Roundup.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt roundup. And if it is, well, OP is safe, because that's mold. Wipe it off and smoke it.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Disregarding the roundup posts, thanks all. I wiped it and smoked it.
    Regarding the roundup posts, now I hope I don't get cancer and die.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're going to die of something, why spend time worrying about what that thing is.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a "ZJ"

• Options

@Vision said:
    It's a "ZJ"

???
    What's ZJ mean?

• Options

@TRayB said:

@Vision said:
    It's a "ZJ"

???
    What's ZJ mean?

If you have to ask..... you can't afford it.....

I'm just hoping people get the reference

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    You're going to die of something, why spend time worrying about what that thing is.

MEMENTO MORI….MEMENTO VIVERE

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@TRayB said:

@Vision said:
    It's a "ZJ"

???
    What's ZJ mean?

If you have to ask..... you can't afford it.....

I'm just hoping people get the reference

“I’m better when in drunk!”

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Plume is a real thing…but that ain’t it. The big mystical misconception about plume is that it’s a good thing. It’s not. If a cigar is kept at the correct conditions long enough to achieve plume it’s all been a waste of time. Plume is the crystallized oils that have left the tobacco. Once this happens the cigar has sat so long that it has gone way past it’s prime and is no longer worth smoking.

I’ve had exactly one cigar with legit plume crystals and it was a great cigar. YMMV but I do agree with the consensus, it’s usually mold 99.99% of the time.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Rdp77 said:
    Plume is a real thing…but that ain’t it. The big mystical misconception about plume is that it’s a good thing. It’s not. If a cigar is kept at the correct conditions long enough to achieve plume it’s all been a waste of time. Plume is the crystallized oils that have left the tobacco. Once this happens the cigar has sat so long that it has gone way past it’s prime and is no longer worth smoking.

I’ve had exactly one cigar with legit plume crystals and it was a great cigar. YMMV but I do agree with the consensus, it’s usually mold 99.99% of the time.

YMMV?

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

EPA MPG disclaimer

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    EPA MPG disclaimer

Yeah I finally looked it up, still don’t grasp where it fits in the context though lol.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

YMMVbysw

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

We just need a thread that says "ITS NOT PLUME, ITS MOLD"