Home Cigar 101
Options

New Smoker, Reason to Worry With Humidor?

I started smoking cigars in October, set up a coolidor in late October with a humidifier in the bottom, 2 racks, and a hygrometer on the top rack. The humidor has never topped 72% (rarely touching 70%), it stays 67-68%, which is where I like it. Only distilled water has been used in the humidor.

I smoked a cigar last night & noticed a light white/clear film across a good bit of the cigar. It was a cheapo daily smoker, so I figured it was sloppy use of glue on the wrapper. But had been in the humidor for 3-4 weeks, so figured I'd investigate today. The Mark Twain images is the one I smoked last night

I notice similar film on a few other sticks, but it's hard to get a picture of. But some have more distinctive spots & dark spots. The "film" that looks like smeared/dried glue seems to be mostly on some darker wrappers, the spots that are more noticeable seem to be on lighter wrappers.

FYI: The cigar I smoked last night that I noticed the "film" on was stored inside cellophane & inside a box. The lighter ones I'm holding in these images were stored outside cellophane & outside boxes.

Wanted to make sure I wasn't poisoning myself with more than tobacco. hahaha The oldest cigars here were put in the humidor a max of 5 months ago, and this doesn't seem to wipe off. But with the white/clear film, if I lick my finger and then rub it then it looks like it goes away.

Comments

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't it say 74% in your picture?

• Options

@Jrflickster said:
    Doesn't it say 74% in your picture?

The 74 is the max temp that it gets too before I get a ding on my phone. It came preset at 74, I just never reset it because it's never that hot downstairs.

The humidity is the large number on the bottom being partially blocked by the cigars, it was 64% at that time, because I had it open for a bit inspecting different cigars.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Get rid of the humidifier on the bottom and use 65% bovedas in a cooler. Also, add more cigars when you can. Problem solved.

Working on filling it up, slowly happening. haha

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

The film could be something that was on the inside of the cooler. Did you wash it good before using it?
    But like Shawn said. Go with Boveda. Water is inconsistent and can cause headaches.

• Options

@Rdp77 said:
    The film could be something that was on the inside of the cooler. Did you wash it good before using it?
    But like Shawn said. Go with Boveda. Water is inconsistent and can cause headaches.

Yea I washed it out with Dawn, let it dry overnight, then wiped it down with paper towels & distilled water, let that dry. Then started stocking it.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far, so good. Fill it up and smoke up.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh hell, I thought you had a new smoker, different thread.

A little dirt never hurt