Home General Discussion
Options

Premium Cigars

MakoMako Posts: 3

Hey everyone. I’m a complete newbie and do not plan to smoke very often but maybe once a week, month or couple months. My dad use to smoke Cubans but hasn’t smoked much the last few years. Since I won’t be smoking very often and don’t need a huge collection I’d like to buy a few very high end premium cigars.

The few I was looking at are

Montecristo No2 but realized they are Cuban so I can’t buy them.

Padron 1926

Padron 1964

My budget is under $50 a stick but could go up to $100 if needed. In a perfect world I’d grab 2-4 of a few and have anywhere from 4-10 cigars.

These will be mostly taken on vacation and smoked with good friends or occasionally by myself. We enjoy fishing and one of the captains enjoys Montecristo No 2 so we’d like to bring something to enjoy with him that’s the only reason I even looked up those.

Anyways I appreciate any and all feedback.

Comments

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok I’ll bite.

I wish I could, unequivocally, say spending more money equals better flavor and experience. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that. For a newer palette, I would be surprised if you could tell $100 stick from a $15 stick IMHO. If money is a non issue, knock yourself out and enjoy the experience of spending the money to acquire and smoke a “luxury” cigar. If taste and enjoyment during the smoking experience is a higher premium, I would visit your local brick and mortar shop and taste a variety of cigars. Once you find “the one”, buy a box and enjoy at your leisure.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    Ok I’ll bite.

I wish I could, unequivocally, say spending more money equals better flavor and experience. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that. For a newer palette, I would be surprised if you could tell $100 stick from a $15 stick IMHO. If money is a non issue, knock yourself out and enjoy the experience of spending the money to acquire and smoke a “luxury” cigar. If taste and enjoyment during the smoking experience is a higher premium, I would visit your local brick and mortar shop and taste a variety of cigars. Once you find “the one”, buy a box and enjoy at your leisure.

I appreciate your honest response. By no means do I want to waste money. I only put a budget there because I’m heavily involved in other hobbies/forums and when someone needs a recommendation it’s hard to point them in the right direction without knowing their budget.

My pallet probably wont know the difference but the folks I share them with very well may.

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mako said:

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    Ok I’ll bite.

I appreciate your honest response. By no means do I want to waste money. I only put a budget there because I’m heavily involved in other hobbies/forums and when someone needs a recommendation it’s hard to point them in the right direction without knowing their budget.

My pallet probably wont know the difference but the folks I share them with very well may.

Understood. That being said, I second what @Rdp77 said above. I would add Arturo Fuente Opus X, El Séptimo and limited editions of well known brands.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6

This is the correct storage answer:

https://a.co/d/gDDFt6m

And get a 65 or 69% boveda pack. Done.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Thank you