Home Non Cigar Related

Cooking questions thread

2»

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I didn't know sweet onions kept that long.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

It feels like I may never voluntarily use an onion again. For the past couple months, I've been substituting shallots for onions in everything I make, and it always seems better. I have yet to make something and think to myself "you know what, an onion would have been better here compared to shallots".

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    It feels like I may never voluntarily use an onion again. For the past couple months, I've been substituting shallots for onions in everything I make, and it always seems better. I have yet to make something and think to myself "you know what, an onion would have been better here compared to shallots".

French onion soup? Burgers? Hotdogs? Stuffed inside a pork chop?

I like to thin slice shallots and toss them into my caramelized onions.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    Shallots are smaller as well. I do the just in time scheduling method for a lot of the produce I use. There’s just me to cook for. A bag of onions won’t survive long enough for me to use and the singles are way too big for most of my needs. Enter the shallot.

Ate you back or just popping in? @Trykflyr_1

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wylaff said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:

French onion soup? Burgers? Hotdogs? Stuffed inside a pork chop?

I like to thin slice shallots and toss them into my caramelized onions.

Haven't made any of those recently, but I have been using raw shallots on sandwiches and don't see a downside. French onion soup might be a problem but I've never made that.

I prefer white onions. More zing.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

My family is big on the onion flavor, so typically shallots are too mild by themselves. I will eat a whole onion with 3 eggs for breakfast.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25

Im big on onions too of all types. Each one seems to have their place. I agree that for most things I do shallots are a little light but I enjoy them in or on salads.

Scallions go great in tuna salad.

• Al_K_LloydAl_K_Lloyd Posts: 48 ✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Jrflickster said:
    1 at a time here sorry

Same, but then, I live alone.

Same; crusty old desert hermit checking in

(with apologies to G. Thorogood)

I live alone
    Yeaahh with nobody else
    Cuz when I live alone
    I prefer to be by myself.

There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

Hunter S. Thompson