Home General Discussion

Tatuaje 10th Year Anniversary

Hello and thank you in advance for your replies. I am not really new to smoking cigars, but still haven’t developed my taste enough to discern a lot of the flavor profiles of different cigars. This is where I’d like to ask for your help.
Can anyone tell me what the dominant flavors of the Tatuaje 10th Year Anniversary cigar is. I’ll try to explain the flavor I’m talking about the best I can. To me it is a strong flavor that dominates the feel of the smoke in your mouth. I can taste a slight sweetness and smoothness or creaminess to the smoke, but there’s a flavor there that is a lot more dominate there that I can’t identify, but am wanting so badly to be able to identify so I can buy cigars with a similar flavor profile. I don’t know if it’s a earthy flavor, a leathery flavor, a nutty flavor, coffee or espresso, or maybe even a chocolate or cocoa flavor, but it definitely dominates all other flavors in the smoke.
I have tasted it to lesser degrees in some other cigars like the Oliva V Series, Rocky Patel The Edge Maduro, Punch Signature, and Partagas. But as mentioned, the taste I’m looking for is much stronger and bolder in the Tatuaje.
As much as I love the Tatuaje 10th Anniversary, at nearly $200 for a box of 20, it’s a little too expensive for me to smoke those every day. I would like to find a more affordable cigar that could be an everyday smoke that at least tastes similar. Do you all have any suggestions on some I could try that may taste similar to the Tatuaje. I have tried several, actually too many to name, but haven’t found anything that has that same dominant taste that I’m looking for. I’m hoping some of you all with superior knowledge to mine may be able to point me in the right direction. Again, thank you for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22

@robbie264 said:
    "Hello...I would like to find a more affordable cigar that could be an everyday smoke that at least tastes..."

I believe you've begun the search for the Holy Grail.

Welcome to the club. Is the taste like this? Or that? Your perceptions will differ from others, and will change with time. Only you can make those determinations.

We have all been there at some point in our pursuit of tastebud happiness, what makes me think "leather" makes someone else say "chocolate". Go ahead and say what you think, but it will not be the same for everyone.

So, what you're left with is to learn what you can about your particular desired cigar and then look for lesser priced alternatives that include those wrappers, fillers, sources, etc. It sounds like you've already started that journey. You're already on your path, so to speak.

Look for seconds, overruns, bundles etc when you're looking for your "everyday cigar". You may stumble across something similar to what you're looking for from that Tatuaje, or at least something that can be your "everyday" at a reasonable price. They used to sell "Highly Rated Nicaraguan Seconds" here at CCOM, which were, at least mostly, Oliva Seconds, but I never knew for sure exactly what I'd get. You could pick the size, maybe the wrapper, maybe not, but some of them were next-level outstanding, and affordable. Some weren't.

Sometimes it's about the journey and not the destination is a saying for a reason.

But I doubt that anyone anywhere can tell you "Oh, that's fill-in-the-blank" that you're tasting, just buy "the-other-blank" and you'll be satisfied.

Happy hunting

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22

Every cigar is an everyday day cigar, @Stubble taught me that. Also what Steve said, go balls deep into the components of cigars and experiment. @CAcigarguy007

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might try tatuaje Tattoo Bonitos to see if they have a similar... something.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could also find them cheaper. Cigars.com, our host site, has them for $181. You could likely find them cheaper, too. Neptune and other sites run sales, that can bring down the cost further.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

What price point are you looking for? A 3 dollar cigar is not going to taste like a 10 dollar cigar. If you are going to smoke a cheap cigar and look for flavor profiles, you will be disappointed. If you like the Tatuaje cigar, try one of their core line cigars. 5-7$

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not one of those who want the same flavor every day, even if it's my favorite flavor (and like many of us, and like you, I know what my favorite flavor is but still can't describe it). I know some smokers find a stick they like and that's all they smoke, that never made sense to me. So my suggestion/advice is to find a good deal on the Tat 10th and smoke them on weekends and find some great sticks that cost half as much for the other days.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tats taste like tats. The way they process their tobacco will make them unique, beyond the raw leaf, like most cigars.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23

That Tat 10th anniversary had 2 different wrappers depending on the year of production. That wrapper is where you will find the flavor you are looking for. So which year were you smoking?

Katman, yea I know he is all over the place, but he did an analysis here
    https://kohnhed.com/2024/02/19/tatuaje-10th-anniversary-capa-especial-cigar-reviews-by-the-katman/

Edit; I thought it was interesting the cigar had 2 different wrappers depending on year. I hadn't read a Katman review in years, and he was out there then...

A little dirt never hurt
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's also one with no secondary band and one with a tuxtla band. Ask sherm.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m waiting to hear his expected price point before we start this road trip

C'mon guys, get off your high horses and help this dude out. He isn't trying to sell us anything, he's asking for help. Maybe he is trying to get by on the cheap, wait that sounds like all of us. The guy doesn't even know there were different wrappers for this cigar. I would hate to think this forum is too good to help an obvious newby out.

A little dirt never hurt

Here I'll start, @robbie264 most of the flavor you get from your cigar comes from the wrapper, since the cigar you like came with 2 different wrappers depending on the year it was produced. If you are trying to reproduce the flavor then try to match the wrapper.

A little dirt never hurt
  • robbie264robbie264 Posts: 3

Thank you all for the replies so far. It is much apprised. I bought the box I have probably 4 or so years ago, so It would be whatever wrapper was used during that timeframe. I didn't know they had changed.
    I understand probably nothing is going taste just like the Tatuaje, and that's not what i'm looking for.......... Well, actually if I could find a cheap cigar that tasted just like it, that would be great, but I know that's not going to happen. What I'm really looking for is to identify what that taste or flavor is that's really dominant in the Tatuaje 10th Anniversary. Like I mentioned, I've tasted it in lesser amounts in the other cigars, but not as much as in the Tatuaje. I would mostly like to identify what the flavor profile is described as so I'll know what to look for when seeking new cigars to order. When I taste it in a new cigar I have never tried, I try to look the flavor profile up online and read reviews, but when I see flavors like earthy, nutty, leather, ect. It's almost like reading Greek to me. I know what those things are and have an idea what they might taste like, but I can't identify them in a cigar.
    It would be nice to find some everyday cigars in the $3-5 range (online, not local store prices) with a similar flavor profile. However, I'm not opposed to buying different brands in the $8-12 range to explore. I know that at that price I could just get the Tatuaje's I like, but I'd like to explore and find other options that are similar. I'm sure Tatuaje won't always make that one, so I'd like to have other options with that taste profile. You all may be able to help me save some money with all the cigars I buy chasing that flavor profile :)
    Again, thank you for the replies.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this guy.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• robbie264robbie264 Posts: 3

I don't have one with me right not to take a pic of, but the band looks just like the one in this picture.
    It's a single band, so from that, the age of the box, and other clues you all have given me I'm fairly certain it's the ecuadorian habano wrapper. I'm going to look for some Nicaragua cigars with that wrapper and give some of them a go to see what I find.
    To be honest, I've never considered the wrapper. Without you all pointing me in that direction, I would have never thought the wrapper would have played that big of a role in the flavor and taste and would have never gone in that direction. I always figured 98% of the flavor and taste came from the filler. That's the reason I was so focused on those taste descriptors like earthy, peppery, ect.. Now my focus can be on finding cigars from the same region, with the same wrapper, and that also mentions some of the same flavor descriptor or profiles. I think with the knowledge you guys have given me, I'm probably going to find many more cigars to my liking and avoid a lot more of the ones that are not in my wheelhouse. Like I said, I have never, and would have never taken the wrapper into consideration.......... other then I knew lighter wrappers where not as strong as darker wrappers. I just thought the wrappers were a indication of the strength. I would have never thought they'd play much of a role in the flavor profile.

I always knew Sherm could be somebodies hero

A little dirt never hurt

I know Sherm is somebodies SuperHero, he posts a few pics now and then of his little girl that he supports whatever the endeavor. My hats off to you Sherm.

A little dirt never hurt
  • JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dirtdude said:
    I know Sherm is somebodies SuperHero, he posts a few pics now and then of his little girl that he supports whatever the endeavor. My hats off to you Sherm.

I'll second that. Just for the figuring skating support you're a good man.