Home General Discussion

Draw & Taste

KsqsmokingKsqsmoking Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Draw and taste are the main criteria that I evaluate cigars. I like a nice, open draw, with abundant, effortless smoke. I can really only discern a few flavors, mainly leather, coffee, black pepper and sometimes dark chocolate. Guys talk about caramel, ripe cherries, cedar, and I just can’t pick it up. I like an oily maduro wrapper, but I usually smoke in the dark so I’m not too concerned with how the cigar looks. I’m caring less and less about review points. They seem to mostly fall between 85 and 95. I’m starting to find that it’s not helpful. Why not just have a 10 point scale? Anyway, I’m wondering if there might be value in starting a thread where we basically rate on these simple criteria. Maybe we already have an active one or I should just follow the “what are you smoking” threads. Maybe I’m already over complicating things? Any thoughts?

The obstacle is the way.

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ksqsmoking said:
    Draw and taste are the main criteria that I evaluate cigars. I like a nice, open draw, with abundant, effortless smoke. I can really only discern a few flavors, mainly leather, coffee, black pepper and sometimes dark chocolate. Guys talk about caramel, ripe cherries, cedar, and I just can’t pick it up. I like an oily maduro wrapper, but I usually smoke in the dark so I’m not too concerned with how the cigar looks. I’m caring less and less about review points. They seem to mostly fall between 85 and 95. I’m starting to find that it’s not helpful. Why not just have a 10 point scale? Anyway, I’m wondering if there might be value in starting a thread where we basically rate on these simple criteria. Maybe we already have an active one or I should just follow the “what are you smoking” threads. Maybe I’m already over complicating things? Any thoughts?

You should check out the Leaf and Libations blind tasting and @EgoBoundary runs quite possibly the best blind smoke contest on the planet. Also check out the vHerf. To your point tho... if the guys on here are smoking it..... it's worth the try.