Home Cigar 101

Testing new ground.

As somebody who has only ever smoked Cohibas, Romeo y Julietas, and Carlos Toranos (and the Toranos were my favorites of that bunch) - where should I begin expanding my horizons?

My lack of a car keeps me away from the upscale smoke shops the next town over, although I can get to and from my job and my college just fine (I'm a PT worker and a FT student), so I really have few complaints about that. Besides, having a car would take away money that I would rather spend on fun things..... Things like video games, good bourbon - or cigars!

On that note, are there any cigars on this site that go particuarly well with a serving of Knob Creek?

I am a complete cigar newbie, only started smoking them about a year ago, and my selection was limited to what was in the smoke shop in my part of town. At least I know enough to know that Swishers suck - trying a Swisher after smoking Toranos on a regular basis really made me wonder why anybody in the world would want to smoke them. Hehehe.

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep reading on this site. I am relatively new and I've learned a lot from others here. As far as getting top notch cigars, you do not have to look any further than ccom. The selection and prices are fantastic and they come right to your door.

Try some of the Daily Deal samplers and see what else you might like. Or you can call one ot the reps and they will surely guide you, once you tell them your preferences. Happy hunting!
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, i'd give Ccom a call and ask for some suggestions. They will ask you what you look for in a cigar and they can recommend some fine sticks for you to try based on what your flavor preferences are. An added bonus is that Ccom has some amazing deals on sampler packs running right now because Christmas is so close.

As far as a stick to smoke with some bourbon, whether it's good or not along with it is influenced in a lot of different ways, the biggest being subjective. If you're drinking bourbon after a certain meal, a certain cigar will go with it the best. If you eat something different, or you don't eat anything at all before you have your bourbon, then a different cigar will go better with it. It all comes down to personal preference. Bourbon tends to be sweeter most times, and it's rather oak-ey and charred, so something that melds with those flavors and brings others to the table without clashing is your best bet.

I know that this probably isn't much help because it's not specific at all, but like I said before, taste in cigars is mostly subjective.

Which specific cohibas, romeo y julieta, and carlos toranos did you try, and which of them did you like the best? That might possibly help a bit more?

• The Carlos Toranos I smoked were usually Casa Toranos - which happen to be the only ones at my local smoke shop.

I've tried several Romeo y Julietas, but on that front, I have a strong preference for the Churchill En Tubos.

I sometimes smoke Cohiba XVs when the mood for one hits me.

I know, this list is not very impressive. But like I said, I'm ready to expand my cigar horizons.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Someone who smokes Cohiba, RyJ and Toranos doesn't have to apologize for anything. Those are good smokes! Looking to smoke something different I would suggest checking out anything by Oliva (of course, in addition to calling ccom and talking with someone). All their cigars are very good, are a great value, get high ratings and they have a range from mild to full that you're bound to find something in there that sounds appealing. I would offer a specific suggestion, but really, they're all good. Happy exploring.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    When I was introduced to cigars I had quite a few CAO's. They have a very diverse line and their prices are extremely reasonable. The Hoyo Excalibur 1066 was also a go to cigar when I began, although I have had one in nearly 3 years....bummer!

As as mentioned before, Oliva makes great cigars for the price and for many different tastes. Look into Rocky as well; he has some very good cigars!

Honestly, we can sugget cigars for you and basically list them all, but the best way for you to decide is to go try them! I have plenty of cigars in my humidor that I have bought w/o knowing whether or not I would like them. Sometimes I do like them.....sometimes I don't. Call up ccom and have them pick out a sampler for you. It is truely the best way to find out what brands, wrappers, fillers, etc. that you like the most.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I say join the Cigar of the Month club. You get all the variety you could want and you save 10% on ALL future orders from C.COM.
    Hard to beat.
  • I'll join the Cigar of the Month club when I get my next paycheck, then. :-)

And I'll also call CCom for words of wisdom involving good sticks and also to figure out which humidor I should start off with.

Buying sticks individually at the local smoke shop (that has the tiny cigar selection) is proving not to be a very economical way of purchasing them - and being a FT student does mean my funds are somewhat limited these days.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I would suggest trying some samplers, and smoking them while taking notes on the experience. Order more of the ones you like the most.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Here's a problem....What do you do when you were new to the game close to 6 months ago and I like every single cigar I smoke ;)
  • ironhorse:
    Here's a problem....What do you do when you were new to the game close to 6 months ago and I like every single cigar I smoke ;)

That's easy. Try smoking a Swisher if you really want to say that you had a cigar you did not enjoy.

I know, I can be sadistic at times.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    kaworuchan:
    ironhorse:
    That's easy. Try smoking a Swisher if you really want to say that you had a cigar you did not enjoy. I know, I can be sadistic at times.

Nah, smoke a Black 'n' Mild if you want one you won't like. Or anything clove-flavored. Blechh.

• MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    If you like Carlos Torano cigars, try the Torano Signature and the 1916 Cameroon. Both are excellent sticks (and both are in my top 10).
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    MAJORdorMo:
    If you like Carlos Torano cigars, try the Torano Signature and the 1916 Cameroon. Both are excellent sticks (and both are in my top 10).
    I second this! Both of these are awesome smokes. I would reccomend Nica Libre for a good maduro. 5 Vegas has a decent variety of different smokes, as well as Oliva like said before. Trying what these two have to offer will let you know what your preferences are as far as strength and flavor. If you are looking for good smokes on a limited budget I suggest Sol Cubano, they have asome good smokes at a nice price.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    bacon.jay:
    kaworuchan:
    ironhorse:
    That's easy. Try smoking a Swisher if you really want to say that you had a cigar you did not enjoy. I know, I can be sadistic at times.

Nah, smoke a Black 'n' Mild if you want one you won't like. Or anything clove-flavored. Blechh.

Or smoke an Erin Go Braugh, it's a real cigar and tastes like a vacuum cleaner filter.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Thats funny you should say that because that is exactly how I got started with cigars. I had a few R&J's, then Cohibas but the torano was the best (1959 silver). Since our tastes are probably similar i'll toss out some suggestions.

Onyx reserve
    R&J Viejo (different than most R&J's)
    Arturo Fuente hemmingway short story
    RP Decade
    Comacho Pre Embargo
    Nica Libre
    Punch
    Henry Clay
    Joya de Niciragua Antano

• Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    The samplers really give you a lot of options,,,such as a medium body sampler or a full body sampler> You probably already have a prefernce for mild. medium or full body. maybe try that route...
  • Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions, folks. I plan on purchasing some samplers and getting some of the Deals of the Day after I pick up my first humidor (which I will do by the end of this month, and I plan on starting off with a large one).

I smoked an Acid Kuba Kuba last night (looks like the tiny smoke shop finally got those in stock), and I must say I was very impressed with it. Heh.