Home Cigar 101
Options

First order and questions

ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
I just got my first order from ccom! I'm impressed with the packaging, etc. I also noticed on the invoice that they shipped the same day I ordered. All the sticks are in excellent condition as far as my very limited experience can tell. Now I have some questions concerning my humidor

I calibrated my hygrometer twice and seasoned my humidor. I noticed then that my rh would drop 1-2% per day. Is this normal? When my rh dropped to 65, I put a shotglass filled with distilled water in my humi two days ago and now I'm at 71. Does this mean my humidor is not really seasoned? Would I be safe putting my cigars in before it is seasoned? Do I need to keep the plastic on them? I have one CAO Cherrybomb should I keep the plastic on that to keep from contaminating my others? Maybe I'll have to smoke that one tonight 'for the greater good.'

Comments

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you put some cigars in the humidor, the RH should become more stable.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    How long did you "season" your humidor and what are you using for humidification?
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Whether or not you want to leave the cello on the sticks is really up to you. There have been some serious discussions in the forums on this before and if you search for it in the search box, you'll find the threads that discuss the benefits of leaving it on or taking it off. I personally leave it on to protect the wrapper of the cigar, but to each his own.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    ScottTDawg:
    I noticed then that my rh would drop 1-2% per day. Is this normal? When my rh dropped to 65, I put a shotglass filled with distilled water in my humi two days ago and now I'm at 71. Does this mean my humidor is not really seasoned? Would I be safe putting my cigars in before it is seasoned? Do I need to keep the plastic on them? I have one CAO Cherrybomb should I keep the plastic on that to keep from contaminating my others? Maybe I'll have to smoke that one tonight 'for the greater good.'

Don't worry too much about the humidor. If adding a shot glass brought it up that much, that means that it was seasoned well. Adding your cigars should also help with keeping the rh level constant. If it drops again, let it sit closed for a couple more days and check it. Cigars can recover quite well from being a little dry, so don't worry too much if rh is low for a couple days. Just having the heat on in your room can change things. Your humi is designed to correct itself, so just let it do it's job. Keep your humidification device topped up in the winter months.

I always take the plastic off the sticks. Feels more like unwrapping guifts that way. (I would keep flavoured cigars in cello if I had any). I feel that the stick can breath better with the cello off, but at least open the end if you keep it on.

Just make sure your humidor is not showing any signs of being 'wet' if you wiped it down with distilled water.

Happy smoking!

• Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    The others touched on most everything except I WOULD NOT put that cherrybomb in there with the other sticks as it will impart a flavor on the surrounding sticks.
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Welcome Scott - keep in mind that know matter how well they are packaged for shipping, they can experience some "shock".  Changes to temp and humidity, what have you.  I always like to leave mine rest at least a few weeks in the humidor before enjoying.
  • Options
    I seasoned my humidor for approx. 10 days. I used a propylene glycol activator solution.
  • Options
    One2gofst:
    The others touched on most everything except I WOULD NOT put that cherrybomb in there with the other sticks as it will impart a flavor on the surrounding sticks.

So I guess I'm 'stuck' smoking that one tonight....darn......image
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ScottTDawg:
    One2gofst:

So I guess I'm 'stuck' smoking that one tonight....darn......image
    yeah... good advice there.

i find that i dont like anything infused. the infused cigars seem to lack the complexity. to each their own.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    You don't have to smoke it tonight, just keep it in the zip bag that it came in. Hopefully it was separate when shipped. I've never ordered an infused stick from ccom, do they separate infused?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    nsezell:
    I've never ordered an infused stick from ccom, do they separate infused?
    Yes, in my very limited experience with infused cigars, they do.
  • Options
    nsezell:
    I've never ordered an infused stick from ccom, do they separate infused?

In my case the Cherrybomb was not separate.

I did end up smoking it last night. Not too bad for a real first smoke. Tried to apply the techniques offered on the forum and did ok. I guess practice makes perfect...
  • Options
    One thing I noticed from your original post...checking it everyday. whenever I open my humis I immediately notice on my hygrometer a drop of one to two percent in my RH. I don't consider this to be a major problem, the humi will recover once the lid is closed. It sounds like you have adequate seasoning and humidification going on, just be patient and check less often once your humi is stabilized and it sounds like you are already there. Gotta relax settle back and don't get too concerned until you cannot maintain your RH at all.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Just wanted to clarify I have a glasstop humidor with a hygrometer through the side. Didn't want one that I had to open to check the humidity. I knew I would get obsessive. You're right Hawk55, I do need to relax...maybe I should have a cigar?;)

• Options
    Yeah man, fire up a stik sit back and chill....stop rubbing the glass admiring your stiks...rubbing makes heat and lowers humidity!!! LOL
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    ScottTDawg:
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Just wanted to clarify I have a glasstop humidor with a hygrometer through the side. Didn't want one that I had to open to check the humidity. I knew I would get obsessive. You're right Hawk55, I do need to relax...maybe I should have a cigar?;)

THROUGH THE SIDE??? You have an analog Hygro instead of a digital hygro?
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:

THROUGH THE SIDE??? You have an analog Hygro instead of a digital hygro?

Yah, I wanted to start out with that and then if my interest continued, I'd get a digital that would hopefully fit I think a 1 7/8" hole..anyone know where I can get a good one? I have definitely gotten more serious.
  • Options
    Hawk55:
    Yeah man, fire up a stik sit back and chill....stop rubbing the glass admiring your stiks...rubbing makes heat and lowers humidity!!! LOL
    LOL How did you know what I was doing? Are you psychic!?!?....or psycotic?!?!
  • Options
    A little of both...LOL