Home General Discussion

Vitolas

I'm not sure how to phrase this question, but I'm gonna give my best shot.

I am curious about the tastes of different vitolas of a cigar brand. As an example our friend Jo3zer turned me on to the Sol Cubano CC #4 and I totally dug it. I've had other vitolas of the SCCC, but none of them tasted like this. So I got to thinking how different vitolas of my fav's taste? I found that I really like the flavor of a Padilla 68 in the robusto size, but the torpedo size, no so much. Same with the CAO Black- torpedo tasty, robusto not so much. Cain torpedo tasted way better than the Double Toro

So here is my question: What do you think is the best vitola of the brands you enjoy?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It changes so much from brand to brand, so there is no definite answer. Something we talk about from time to time, the wrapper to filler ratio, is really the key here. If the cigar in question has a really tasty wrapper, then chances are it will be more enjoyable in a smaller ring gauge, as you get more wrapper to filler as it burns thus imparting more of the wrapper's taste. On the flip side, a blend can have a dynamite filler, in which case you'd want to experience that more with a larger ring gauge.

Some of my favorites, as far as noticing the difference, are the SC CC #4, the Padilla Miami and Signature 1932 torpedo, La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1 (lonsdale) and the La Flor Double Ligero lancero...well, those are some of my favorites where the specific vitola comes into play.

I think the difference can really be noted with a cigar like Padron due to the fact that they don't adjust the blend for each size. With that blending method, you can taste or experience something different with each vitola. Or course there are others, but that was the first cigar where I really noticed the difference.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    My blending 101 thread hits on this a bit. but i agree with j0z3r, it is very different from brand to brand.

i think Opus does better in a smaller ring, as with AVO. LFD does well around 50
    5 vegas series a is best in the 6 x 60, Camacho does well in the robusto vitola.
    the list goes on and on.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Here are some of my favs

IT Super Fuerte Maduro---Belicoso
    Cu-avana Intenso -----------Torpedo
    MOW Ruination---------------Torpedo
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    MOW Ruination---------------Torpedo
    And that is an example of how it can change from person to person, depending on personal taste, since I happen to think the robusto #1 is the best Ruination. So there won't be a definitive list as long as we all have differing palates and preferences.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I like cigars.....(((in Forrest Gump voice)))
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I really enjoy a Centurian in a perfecto.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Luko:
    I really enjoy a Centurian in a perfecto.

LOL me too
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I would keep track of what you smoke and what tastes good.

If you like the SCC #4 then it has a certain wrapper and the smaller ring gauges give more Wrapper than binder/filler...

Smoke all that you can and than record what you like in certain tobacco and find similar stuff...
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

for me, the best has almost always been either a Belicosso, Torpedo or something with pointy ends...pardon the lack of high tech names, lol. I usually get the Toro, because I think the size is a good value, but cigars like the 5 Vegas Relic shape are very enjoyable.

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    The Relic is a perfecto.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    zoom6zoom:
    The Relic is a perfecto.

Thank you Zoom

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    cigars like the 5 Vegas Relic shape are very enjoyable.
    zoom6zoom:
    The Relic is a perfecto.
    this vitola is my favorite by far. the constantly changing wrapper to filler ratio gives it a complexity over the course of the stick that many cigars lack. they are also the hardest to roll and create the most burn issues. its kind of a love hate thing i guess.