Home Cigar 101
Options

Problems with sticks splitting!!

bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
Hey guys,

I'm having some problems with a couple of the different cigars I have in my humi, Gurkha Doble Maduro and the 5 Vegas A (Apotheosis size). They keep splitting when I try to smoke them!! Sometimes with the Gurkha it splits even before I try to light it!

None of the other sticks that I have in my humi do this when I light them. I've calibrated my hygros and everything is fine with my Rh, it hovers right at at 66%, +/- 2% depending on the temp. I've tried setting them outside the humi for up to 6 or 7 hours when i'm planning on smoking them too, and that doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone have a suggestion to fix this? It's starting to drive me nuts!!

Comments

• Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    I believe that splitting is usually the result of being too dry. Did you obtain the sticks from the same vendor at the same time? I would let them rest for awhille to see if that helps. Did they burn really fast and hot when you smoked them?
  • Options
    They've been in my humidor for almost 8 months though...

If it makes any difference, I had a 5 Vegas A in a smaller ring gauge in my humi for a pretty good while and that one didn't have any problems. And no, they burn slow.

• Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    Thats pretty odd. It would be an easier to figure out if it were only occurring with 1 brand. I'm stumped!
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Only thing I can tell you is that your humidity might be too low. Hope you can figure out the problem soon!
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Send them to someone else. I know, a common thing to say but I am serious. Send one to a few guys in different parts of the country. After they let them rest a bit have them smoke them and report back with their findings. Could just be a combination of your humidor, the cigars' previous environment and your current environment. Worth a shot anyhow, depending on how concerned you are about it.
  • Options
    I like to err on the side of caution, so as I type this I am salt-testing the three hygros I have again, just to be sure it's not them. All in the same container as well, so I can see if there's any difference between them. I'll be doing the dollar bill test on the lid of my humi tomorrow as well, in order to rule out a bad seal due to fluctuating ambient Rh and temps here because of the changing seasons. Wish me luck!

If anyone has any other suggestions as well, please don't hesitate to post them. I really like both of the sticks that I'm having problems with, I'll be very depressed if I can't figure this out ;_;

• Options
    One2gofst:
    Send them to someone else. I know, a common thing to say but I am serious. Send one to a few guys in different parts of the country. After they let them rest a bit have them smoke them and report back with their findings. Could just be a combination of your humidor, the cigars' previous environment and your current environment. Worth a shot anyhow, depending on how concerned you are about it.

I might do this if the salt test and dollar bill test with the humi come up inconclusive, I can think of quite a few BOTL who'd help a brother out, especially if it meant some sticks!! Haha

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it may be a combo of things. if the air around you is very damp (like its raining) and your humidity is SLIGHTLY low this can cause a split as well.

if the draw is difficult as well you may have OVER humidified cigars on your hands.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Somewhere in one of the threads I remember reading where you should let your stiks rest at a lower (I believe) humi before smoking them to prevent this. Anyone up on this..it has something to do with the wrapper not stabilizing as quickly as the binder and filler...or am i totally off here/
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    it may be a combo of things. if the air around you is very damp (like its raining) and your humidity is SLIGHTLY low this can cause a split as well.

if the draw is difficult as well you may have OVER humidified cigars on your hands.

The draw can be a little on the firm side at times with the A and Gurka, as well as a few other ones, but not at a level that would suggest overhumidification, and halfway through it starts to loosen up anyways. There are actually a few smokes in the same humi that have a super-LOOSE draw, namely my Camacho 1962 torps, so I'm doubtful that this is the issue in this case...

It is possible that they could be underhumidified and they are splitting because the ambient Rh is higher than what's in my humidor... it had been raining outside and the ground was damp when I smoked the A last night, so the Rh could have been fairly elevated. Is there any way to rule that out? Say, smoking in a dehumidified environment?

• Options
    maybe. but its hard to know for sure.
    the camacho 1962 torps all seem to have a lose draw. I have never had one where it was firm.
  • Options
    Double-checked, 5 Vegas A size is Apocalypse. I think before I had said Apotheosis.
  • Options
    Hawk55:
    Somewhere in one of the threads I remember reading where you should let your stiks rest at a lower (I believe) humi before smoking them to prevent this. Anyone up on this..it has something to do with the wrapper not stabilizing as quickly as the binder and filler...or am i totally off here/
    He said he has tried dry boxing them and is getting the same results, FYI.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Steve u have a PM
  • Options
    I wanted to post and say I am sorry if my post came across as condescending to anyone. It was most definitely not my intent. I consider everyone here my friend and I wouldn't insult anyone intentionally. I know that sometimes posts can be misconstrued, but I hope anyone I offended by my post can believe me when I say there was absolutely zero malicious intent.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you're talking about the dry boxing comment, then I didn't read anything further into that than you saying he had already tried it, certainly nothing condescending or insulting. FWIW anyway.
  • Options
    I didn't either, but I can understand now that someone might have taken it that way and I certainly don't mean to insult any BOTL.
  • Options
    OK, so I've retested all of my hygros. Walmart digital, Humi-care digital, and analog dial hygro that came with my humidor.

The Walmart was +2 after the salt tests, which I knew about before.

I dialed in the Humi-Care, and it's spot-on now (wasn't using this one before).

Also adjusted my analog hygro after it had equalized with the room Rh to compensate for the difference shown during the salt test. So it's spot on too.

Before all that, the Walmart digital hygro ranged between 63-71%, which isn't all that bad considering the wild temp changes here recently. Assuming it was +2 at the time, we can say that Rh was between 61% and 69%. The analog showed the same range everytime I opened the humi.

After a slight recharge of the beads I'm using and a night and a day in the humi for both the Walmart and Humicare, they both read dead-on 65%. Just recently put the analog back in, so i'll wait a few hours and check it's progress and report back...

I still don't think that 61% Rh is low enough to create that many problems, unless these particular sticks need a slightly elavated Rh to smoke well? Anyone care to comment?

• Options
    i still think its not you or your humiodr, but the air around you. the last day or so was dry here in ohio. have you smoked since? if so how goes it ?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i still think its not you or your humiodr, but the air around you. the last day or so was dry here in ohio. have you smoked since? if so how goes it ?

I'm going to hang out at my B&M today and smoke a couple, I will post again afterwards.

Also, when I checked my hygros this morning, my analog showed 68%, the Walmart digital showed 65%, and the humicare showed 62%. They are all in different areas of my humi, and fairly far from each other. Why so much variation between the three? Do I need to reseason my humidor? The two digitals are in the bottom and the analog is in the top. Should I put some beads under the tray as well, and would that help to even out the range a little bit?

• Options
    Do you have a fan in your humidor? I have found that it helps keep the air well circulated so there are no "wet spots" and "dry spots". Are the sticks that are splitting all near each other in the humidor? if so that could be the culprit.
  • Options
    bacon.jay:
    I'm going to hang out at my B&M today and smoke a couple, I will post again afterwards.

Also, when I checked my hygros this morning, my analog showed 68%, the Walmart digital showed 65%, and the humicare showed 62%. They are all in different areas of my humi, and fairly far from each other. Why so much variation between the three? Do I need to reseason my humidor? The two digitals are in the bottom and the analog is in the top. Should I put some beads under the tray as well, and would that help to even out the range a little bit?

kuzi16:

Went to my B&M today and had an Ashton churchill from their humidor and it split a little after the half-way, so I'm thinking that kuzi might just have something here.

One2gofst:
    Do you have a fan in your humidor? I have found that it helps keep the air well circulated so there are no "wet spots" and "dry spots". Are the sticks that are splitting all near each other in the humidor? if so that could be the culprit.

Nope, no fan. Honestly, I don't think i could fit a fan in my humi, it's only a 100 count, and I can't think of any fan that would fit in there. The two culprits of the notorious splitting are in opposite ends of the bottom of the humi though, unless the bottom is completely closed of from the top with the tray insert...