Home Cigar 101

Cigar/Pipe Relight

MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
How come when you can relight a pipe as much as you want with no ill effects, but if you do it with a cigar, it generally has a funky taste? Is it because of how cigars are kept at higher humidity? Thats the only reason I can think of.

Comments

• bforresterbforrester Posts: 16
    I think it might have more to do with drawing the smoke through more tobacco and letting it get stale when it goes out. I have found digging out the ash and then blowing the stale smoke out before relighting tends to help.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If a cigar goes out on me, I do two things when I relight. First, I knock all the ash off and get it as clean as possible. Second, once it is lit, I blow through it for a good 2 seconds to clear any stale smoke. I don't have to relight often, but when I do it rarely, if ever, tastes funky.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    if a cigar goes out on me, i use my cheap pass thru single blade cutter (my other is a cuban crafters perfect cut so it won't pass anything thru). once i cut the ash off, i relight and do some hot puffs to heat the olioresins in the base of the cigar back up so they don't taste stale. works really well. i try not to relight but sometimes it happens.
    i've never tried a pipe, but i'm sure that it has less oils to deal with than a cigar as there is a lot more tobacco in a cigar and it's tighter packed
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

The pipe only has a bowl of tobacco, with only air flow to your mouth for the smoke. The smoke does not travel through much tobacco at all compared to a cigar. When it goes out, any 'funkyness' can escape, because there is no tobacco wrapper on it.

For a cigar, the wrapper is less porous than a cigarette paper and traps any gasses and fumes inside the cigar. The ash also helps trap all that foul tasting stuff, so when it goes out it will have a 'funky' taste when you try to relight it. Blowing through the cigar before you relight, and immediately after will help to clear that from the cigar and will improve smoking the rest of the stick. It is also acceptable (IMO) to blow through the cigar a time or 2 while you smoke it. It seems to help "refresh" the cigar and keep the flavours fresh.