Home Cigar 101
Options

Before buying the "Christmas Feast" sampler...What should I know?

So, this will be my first purchase from Cigar.com [and first step into non-supermarket cigars], if I go through with it. Seems like a reasonable deal; has everything I need to get started for only $80. Very excited about the endeavor, to say the least! However, I have a few questions that I thought up while making the decision to buy this:

-What do I do with the cigars while I am preparing my humidor?
-Is the included humidor decent, for a beginner? I hear complaints about the humidifier, and people buying other substitutes in its place due to mold.
-Are the cigars included [Graycliff 1666 and RP 1992] considered good cigars?
-Do the experienced people here see this is a good startup package, with cigars and accessories considered?
-If anyone knows, how long will the Christmas package be available for? Don't want to keep putting it off if it'll be gone tomorrow.

Thanks,
Andrew

Comments

• Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Don't know about the humidor, but I'd think it would at least be OK. The sticks are good, although there is at least one poster who makes a point of saying he doesn't like Graycliffs at every opportunity ;). You can keep the cigars in a tupperware container with a water pillow or even a paper towel moistened with distilled water. Hope that helps. Welcome to the BOTL.
  • Options
    Thanks! That helps a lot, really. Not looking for anything big or fancy, just enough to ease me into the habit. As for the Graycliffs... to each his own =]

Regarding the tupperware... should I somehow divide the cigars from the paper towel / water pillow? I would assume so, but just want to clarify! Cigars here typically ship with water pillows, if I am correct?
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    If you leave the cigars in the bags they come in, with the water pillows, they should stay just fine until you place them in the humidor. Once you place them in the humidor you will want to let them "rest" for a few weeks before enjoying them. The 92 is enjoyed by many of us, including myself. I also like the 1666, although it's not one of Grey Cliffs best. All in all it's a good deal.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    One2gofst:
    Don't know about the humidor, but I'd think it would at least be OK. The sticks are good, although there is at least one poster who makes a point of saying he doesn't like Graycliffs at every opportunity ;). You can keep the cigars in a tupperware container with a water pillow or even a paper towel moistened with distilled water. Hope that helps. Welcome to the BOTL.

One2gofst is very right in saying the sticks are good, but it's all a matter of personal preference really. Like he said, there are people here that absolutely HATE Graycliffs. I on the other hand love them, especially the 1666. I think the the RP '92s are 'OK', but others love smoking them.

If you're worried about mold with the humidifier puck that comes with the humidor, you can probably take the puck apart and replace the oasis foam with beads. I use scent-free Ultra Pearls Cat Litter, made by Ultra Pet, and it works just as well as the Heartfelt beads that most people here use but at a fraction of the cost. I also second the tupperware with water pillow until you season the humi.

I would also suggest getting a digital hygrometer, but it probably wouldn't be absolutely necessary in a small-count humidor. However, it does provide good peace of mind.

More than anything though, welcome to the hobby:) Get ready to have a perpetually lighter wallet! Haha

• Options
    Wow guys, I'm thrilled with the level of response and hospitality here. I think I'm going to go through with it and everything as a single package while I can. I'll see how the puck works on its own, but as it happens we JUST got a cat today, and therefore cat litter as well. Must be a sign...

I've been doing some reading up (I don't buy anything without doing research, haha), and I found two different approaches to season humidors. One involves wiping it down with a sponge soaked in distilled water; the other says to leave a shot glass to sit in the closed humidor for 3 days... can anyone offer their $0.02 or recommendations?
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Aoreskovich, welcome to the forum. This Christmas package ccom has put together is really a good deal and has everything you need to get started and more. The cigars are very high quality. Some might not like the taste of one or the other but I don't think anyone is going to deny they are both premium lines.

Some people like to wipe their humidors down in order to speed up the seasoning process and get some humidity into the wood at a faster rate. Others are concerned that this wiping might water stain the spanish cedar lining of the humidor or cause the wood to warp and make a poor seal. My opinion is that if you wipe evenly with a cloth that is only damp and not dripping wet and you do it in intervals (not over and over again in succession) you won't make any stains or warp the wood. I'd still put in the shot glass and give it some time to fully take on the humidity because if the wood is still absorbing moisture when you put in your cigars the humidor will continue to absorb humidity by taking moisture from the cigars (bad, very bad).

You should calibrate you hygrometer with the "salt test" which you can find out all about with this forum's search function.

I used just the foam puck when I started and now use both foam and beads together. Foam isn't bad but you can actually over-humidify with them whereas the beads, used properly, will give off moisture or accept moisture and therefore create a much more stable environment with much less effort.

I think this package is a great way to start. You'll find that ccom puts out a great product and offers great deals with excellent customer service. Enjoy.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey Buddy! Welcome to the forum!

For someone like you (just starting out), it's a great package. The humi will work fine(was my first as well) until you get a bigger one...which you will be wanting soon. The accessories are nice to have, and it never hurts to have duplicates once you buy nicer ones. As for the sticks - I LOVE Rocky's Vintage line, and the 92 is a great stick. The Graycliff 1666 is another favorite of mine, so as far as I see it, you can't go wrong.

As for seasoning - do NOT wipe down the inside. I made that mistake with the same humidor, and it took me two weeks to get my humidity stable. Just leave a shot glass of distilled water in it for 3 days or more - don't open it during this time - and you should be just fine. A digital hygro that's worked great for me and many others (though some have problems with it) is the Springfield Thermometer/Hygrometer for $7 at WalMart.

Above all, welcome again, and make sure to stick around! Good folks around here.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    aoreskovich:
    Wow guys, I'm thrilled with the level of response and hospitality here. I think I'm going to go through with it and everything as a single package while I can. I'll see how the puck works on its own, but as it happens we JUST got a cat today, and therefore cat litter as well. Must be a sign...

I've been doing some reading up (I don't buy anything without doing research, haha), and I found two different approaches to season humidors. One involves wiping it down with a sponge soaked in distilled water; the other says to leave a shot glass to sit in the closed humidor for 3 days... can anyone offer their $0.02 or recommendations?

IMHO, wiping it down could introduce a moist environment for mold to germinate as well as risking warpage, depending on how wet the wood actually gets. Better to let the wood suck up evaporated water on it's own. A shot glass with distilled water will work, but I've found that a faster way to do it is to use one of those miniature aluminum pie plates with a little less than a ¼ inch of luke-warm water in the bottom.

And it doesn't matter at this point whether or not it's distilled or regular tap water, as long as the water never actually touches the wood. The evaporated water is essentially distilled water anyways. If you have chlorinated water though, I'd stick with distilled.

Just leave the pie plate and water in for about 24-48 hours and you should be golden. And like Hays said, you won't want to open it during this time... AT ALL. Just resist the temptation. I also agree with what he said about the Springfield thermo/hygro from Wal-fart. I have the same one, and it's pretty close to dead-on. The Max/Min feature is nice too.

• Options
    The deed is done, my friends! Bought the set, along with a "Rocky Patel Royal Vintage, Toro, Habano" in clearance. Should arrive in 3 to 10 days! I like the aluminum pie plan, seems like it would work pretty well. I'll keep you all posted as developments arise!
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Great. I really do not think you will be disappointed. Most everyone here is more than helpful so I am sure you will be GT with any questions that may arise.

Oh, and as to the question of "how do I stop buying these daily deals?", no one has come up with a workable solution to that, yet!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aoreskovich:
    The deed is done, my friends! Bought the set, along with a "Rocky Patel Royal Vintage, Toro, Habano" in clearance. Should arrive in 3 to 10 days! I like the aluminum pie plan, seems like it would work pretty well. I'll keep you all posted as developments arise!
    That's great! Welcome aboard. As you have probably guessed by now from the other responses, start saving now for a larger humidor, you're going to need it. I started with a 20 count which I now use for my infused cigars. I have two other 200 counts, one for aging and one for smoking out of.

Enjoy your search for the perfect smoke, we're all on the same journey.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    the RP Vintage 1992 is one of my favorite sticks, might be a little too full bodied if you're just starting out (not sure how many cigars you've had) but as you build up your tolerance and work your way up to more medium to full bodied smokes this one will probably be in your humi constantly.

As for seasoning your humi, I would wipe it down, which is what I do w/ my humidors. But I don't use alot of water, just enough wet the wood. I then put in my digital hydrometer and wait for the humidity to stablize, usually takes 24-48hrs at the most.

Welcome to the boards and I hope you enjoy your new hobby.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    It's here! My full set arrived today. Impressed with the lighter. Has some weight to it, which is good; not flimsy at all. Though I was supposed to get the cigar.com humidor, it appears I got some different one, which I must say looks better than I expected the cigar.com one to. It's a "Quality Imports" one, and has a very nice finish to it and no label branding on the front. Looks similar to this [http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-SH40-1]. I'll start the seasoning process tonight, most likely.

Question: once the humidor is seasoned and I go to put my cigars in, should I remove them from their plastic wrappers?

Also, though the pictures all showed the RP Vintage 1992, I received 5 RP Vintage 1990. Not quite sure if this is an upgrade or downgrade, but I'm happy regardless! Thanks everyone for your help, and I'm sure I'll be back with any other questions or feedback very soon!

• Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    It is a well documented fact and agreed upon by everyone on this forum that you should store your cigars naked. We here on the forum also don't put beans in chili! I kid of course. Either way works, it's a personal preference.
  • Options
    Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    aoreskovich:
    Question: once the humidor is seasoned and I go to put my cigars in, should I remove them from their plastic wrappers?

I'm a noob to, but I have to take the cello off. Just wouldn't feel right otherwise.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    aoreskovich:
    It's here! My full set arrived today. Impressed with the lighter. Has some weight to it, which is good; not flimsy at all. Though I was supposed to get the cigar.com humidor, it appears I got some different one, which I must say looks better than I expected the cigar.com one to. It's a "Quality Imports" one, and has a very nice finish to it and no label branding on the front. Looks similar to this [http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-SH40-1]. I'll start the seasoning process tonight, most likely.

Also, though the pictures all showed the RP Vintage 1992, I received 5 RP Vintage 1990. Not quite sure if this is an upgrade or downgrade, but I'm happy regardless! Thanks everyone for your help, and I'm sure I'll be back with any other questions or feedback very soon!

As far as I see it, you got majorly upgraded! I'm not the biggest fan of the appearance of the Cigar.com humi, but it works, so getting a different one is cool. Plus getting the 90 over the 92 is WAY cool in my book, and probably much better for your taste to start with.

Of course, do with your sticks what you wish, but the general consensus (I think) is to store them as they come to you - if they're in cellophane, leave em that way. If they're naked, leave em.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    The Vintage 1990 is neither an upgrade or downgrade, just a different cigar. They are both awesome in my book :^) I store my cigars with the cello, but like it was stated before, it's a personal preference.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I usually leave my cello on to keep the cigars from chipping when I'm going through my humi. However, in my aging humidor, I take the cello off.

IMO...The Vintage 90 is above the 92, it ( the wrapper) is aged 12 years and 5 yr filler, vs 10 year old wrapper with 5 year old binder with the 92. The 90 also uses a maduro wrapper which adds more flavor, little milder on your palette too, better cigar to start out with in my book. 1990 just so happens to be my favorite smoke at the moment.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Wow, guess I got lucky this time. Can't wait to give the 1990s and 1666s a shot. Also, I just measured my humidor, and the dimensions are:
     4 inches tall
    10.5 inches from left to right
    8.75 inches from front to back

Very closely matches the one I linked to earlier, which is said to hold 40 to 50 cigars, and costs $60. Awesome! I've never had an incorrect order benefit me so much. If it it was intentional, then my gratitude to whoever made the decision =]

Seasoning process has started. Humidor will be closed until 5PM Thursday.

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Rocky 92 and 90 are both excellent. I prefere the 92's Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, but the blend (filler and binder ) is identical. I store mine with the cello since I rummage through my humidor daily and hate chipped wrappers, I even reuse cello to cover cigars that arrive without coverage. My motto .." Wrap that rascal ! "
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'll chime in as one of the minority that stores cigars unwrapped. I'm not too worried about damaging cigars as I shuffle through them and I like the smell I get when I open my humidor to grab a stick. It really gets me in the mood and I'm already enjoying my cigar before I even have it in my hands. I also like that they are free to breath freely even though cellophane is porous and technically does pass moisture through. The visual is great too, it brings in another sense right away. I love just looking at my cigars.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

I re-arrange my cigars in their respective humidor(s) once every month to 2 months, and always store them naked (the cigars, not me..get that picture out of your head...I dare you, lol). With a smaller humidor, you won't need to rotate them, unless you find that some cigars sit at the bottom for a long long period of time. There will almost always be dryer sections in a humidor, so unless you have a fan and lots of room, it's a good idea to move them arround.

I'm glad you got a nice humidor and some good cigars. If you like Rocky Patel, either the Vintage 1990 or 1992 are good sticks, but they do taste different, and to each their own. It's worth trying both. I really enjoy the RP Sungrown and Decade as well as the Vintage line.

• Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    To cello or not to cello...that is still the question. Most of my stiks are stored in my humi with cello on. I have some stored naked but I have to make sure the humidity stays above 70%, not above 73%. It seems that very quickly they start to look and feel dry stored without the cello and the humidity drops below 67-68%. That is why I am starting to lean toward keeping those puppies wrapped,...safer that way....But I guess whatever works best.
  • Options
    CELLO ON!!!!!!!!!!11
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Have they had "cello" for more than a 100 years? Betcha it a fairly new thing, and in the history of cigars, "cello off" has been the norm. ?

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    camgfs:
    Have they had "cello" for more than a 100 years? Betcha it a fairly new thing, and in the history of cigars, "cello off" has been the norm. ?

Air conditioning wasn't the norm 100 years ago, so should I not use it this summer because that's how it was 100 years ago? Point being that certain technologies arise from time to time that improve the status-quo...and yes, I do feel that cello over no cello is an improvement with the only exception being if the cigars in question are boxed.
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Every single one of my sticks is stored with the cello on. One of the things with chipped wrappers is that as the wrapper chips and breaks away (which is rather unsightful and all aspects of the cigar are to be enjoyed, including the appearance), the possibility of the wrapper to unravel begins to increase. I'm not saying it will always happen and I'm not saying it happens most of the time. But the cello tends to go along way in preserving the construction of the stick and its appearance.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    All that and.... I would hope if Beetles ever got into my humidor the infestation might be contained by the cello.