Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Free Office software

I just got a spreadsheet (thanks for the link Hays) for keeping up with my cigar inventory. It states that it requires exel, but wanted to share with everyone that has/plans on getting a computer and doesn't want to pay for Microsoft office, that there is a free office productivity suite you can get called openoffice(www.openoffice.org). It does spreadsheets, word processing etc and it's completely free. Coop

Comments

• Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Yes, it does indeed work and it's what I'm using as well.
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I've been using OpenOffice for years. I love it! Hell, I only use free operating systems/free software on my main computer (I had a Windows XP machine for gaming, but I sold it last week).

The quality of most free/open source software is incredible (espessially considering it often exceeds expensive software).
  • Options
    Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    Yep I've been using it since version 1, it's up to 3 now. I just thought that people here that either purchase a new computer or run a business might want to save between 80-400 dollars depending on what version of Microsoft Office they would normally purchase.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using Open Office for awhile now and so far it works great and the best part is it is free.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I have been using OpenOffice for a few months on our computer, and my opinion of it rather digresses. Our hard drive crashed and had to be replaced, and I couldn't find the MS Office cd that we had, so I installed OpenOffice in the meantime. However, since recently finding the cd, I've been trying to re-install MS Office. Though I believe the suite is overpriced, I still much prefer it over OpenOffice.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    It depends on what you use it for. If you're using MS office alot because of your job or just from your daily life, then it might be worth it to invest in the actual program. If you just rarely use it, or only for small stupid little things. Then open office is great.
  • Options
    Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    I've used it for several years and it's designed to mimic Microsoft Office really well, the only thing I like more about MS Office is OO it's much harder to number your pages. Other than that the two suites seem nearly identical. One big thing though is setting it up to save files in MS office format as a default, if you need to email your stuff to others.