Home General Discussion
Options

Asking for to much

My title belies the fact that I think I'll be asking for to much, but since I'm new to cigars and trying to build up my humidor: anyone got a line on some decent budget smokes that don't need to rest for a long time?

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    The 5 vegas line and the ccom house blends come to mind.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    The 5 vegas line and the ccom house blends come to mind.
    Agreed - 5 Vegas is a great budget line, with quality that really surpasses the price point.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I second the CCOM House Blends. Get the sampler - you're almost guaranteed to like a few of em. $2.50 a stick, can't go wrong
  • Options
    Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    Good ideas Hadn't considered the house brands, and I love 5 Vegas, just wasn't sure if they needed to age awhile.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Another good one is the Nica Libre. It's a great price for a damn good smoke. They aren't as good as the Padron 1926 by any means, but there is a similar flavor profile that is very enjoyable. Also I can't find them online, but the Ambos Mundos made by Pete Johnson from Tatuaje is a great budget smoke. Check out the samplers here on Ccom for some great deals to help fill the humidor.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    You really need to follow the daily deals carefully because you get GREAT sticks for budget prices. The Cu-avana Intenso is a good example. I bought 25 of those. At 5 for 10.95 and free shipping if you got 10 you just can't do much better. Look back thru the daily deal posts over the last week or so and you will see what I mean.
  • Options
    Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    Thanks again for the suggestions, I've jumped on a couple of daily deals and expect those sticks soon. I'm just so green at this I'm not sure what cigars need to age, and what is good fresh. Going home to the humidor is sort of like Christmas, and I don't want to destroy all my nice toys before they are at their best :P
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

With any stick, let them rest at least a couple/few weeks after you get them. Big changes in temperature and humidity can happen in shipping.

If you get a chance to pick up some of the 'aged' cigars on the daily deals, they've already got some years on them, so no real aging is needed. The Rocky Patel Vintage line comes to mind, as some of those are aged 10 to 12 years already.

Most cigars are ok to smoke soon after you get them (but will improve with some age), with the exception of Cubans (can I use that word in this formum? )....which are at their best after about 4 years.

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    The Nica Libre is good and doesn't need a lot of time. They may get even better with age, but I had one after just a couple weeks of rest in the humi and it was very good. Also look at Ccoms nice selection of 2nds. They have some great smokes that have all the flavor and maybe a small discoloration. Most of the time you can't even tell why it's a second.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    And on the heels of what Puro was saying about seconds....The Perdomo ESV '91 seconds are really good cigars for a really good price and they're good right out of the mailbox. That is one of my go-to cigars, as I've smoked quite a few since first discovering them. As the others have said, you can't go wrong with 5 Vegas or the ccom house blends, both great values.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in theory, no cigar needs age.
    some do well with age and some dont. most cigars are designed to be good right out of the box. very few cigars are designed to be aged post market. if the cigar was blended with age in mind the cigar company will usually age them on their own, then send them out.
    many cigars do well with age.
    ...but not all

as for the budget stick goes, i would go with the cigar.com Cameroon label. they are great out of the truck and i hear they age quite well.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're truly just starting out, get the House Blends sampler.

I disagree with what people are saying about jumping straight into the daily deals. They offer some great deals, but if you like a mild bodied smoke then the Cu-Avano Intenso is not for you. You'll hate it.

The House Blend sampler will introduce you to wide array of wrappers, fillers, body, and taste. Go to Cigar.com and read what they say about each cigar before you smoke it. See if you can tell what they're talking about. Write down the things you like, dislike, agree with, disagree with.

After you've done this, then start looking into cigars that have the characteristics you enjoyed. If you like the Purple Label, go find some Connecticut wrappers. If you like the Corojo Label, go get yourself some Don Pepin Garcias and some full-bodied smokes.

Cigar.com usually makes sure you get a few different sizes as well. So you'll get to decide if you like a torpedo, churchill, robusto. You'll find out how long these cigars typically smoke for.

For $15.95, the House Blends sampler will be the best education in cigars you will ever get for that price.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a variety of great advice already here. I would look for a a sampler based on the type of body you would like which most likely is going to be mild to medium. If you are wanting quality mild cigars I would look for a sampler with most of the brands named by the others. I myself would go with 5 Vegas Gold, CAO Gold, Nica Libre, La Herencia. The samplers will probably give you a variety sizes also so you can see what you like the most.

If all this is overwhelming just call Ccom and one of the reps will give you solid advice and help. Probably give you a good deal too.
  • Options
    I agree with 5 Vegas Classic and the House Blends. The Segundos are also a great deal but, as with the daily deals, don't just go ordering willy nilly. Figure out what type of cigars you like, and base your purchases off that. You don't want to be stuck with a bundle of cigars you don't like.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    One other piece of advice, if you get some sticks that seems to strong at first, don't give them away. Just store them deep down in your humidor. Most cigar smokers move to the "dark side" of life sooner or later. I cannot fathom smoking those pale sticks with little strength anymore but at one time that was all I smoked.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Here. Here. I resemble that remark!!!
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    Order 1 box of every thing. I'll take what you don't like!! JK!
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    JZ:
    Order 1 box of every thing. I'll take what you don't like!! JK!
    And I'll take whatever he doesn't like. Which won't be much. JZ loves it!
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    And surely if there is anything left over I can PM you where to send the rest!!! ...My name is Mikey...as in Mikey will take anything...(that may have been eat...)