Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar Aging

sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
How long do manufacturers typically age their cigars before shipping? I've heard anywhere from six months for "regular" cigars to a few years for the super premiums.

Comments

• Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Yup, that's about right. It's difficult to find real info on the factory aging, but if additional aging is required it will usually be mentioned on the website or the local B&M will provide that info when selling you the sticks.

• Options
    Yea, that's what I found frustrating. Can you recommend any smokes that age well? I figure this is the next step I should take in this cigar madness.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    sightunseen:
    Yea, that's what I found frustrating. Can you recommend any smokes that age well? I figure this is the next step I should take in this cigar madness.

Aging cigars for a few months will help settle them, if they are full bodied. Anything more than 4 to 5 years could actually take away from the cigar...like wine, some are meant to be enjoyed young, and others not.

I would age almost any Cuban cigar, but for the ones I get from ccom, I start to enjoy them only a couple weeks after getting them. Depending on how many you smoke, keep extras on hand for aging.

My humidors have cigars that were purchased with age on them already. I put some from each box asside to age, and smoke the others. I have several with 1 to 3 years of age, and ALL are smoking fantastic!!!

Others, like the Rocky Patel Vintage line are already aged, and very "ready to smoke". The vintage 1990 and 1992 have more than enough years on them.

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    FYI, Maduro cigars age VERY well. I like to group my maduros together in my humidor, the cigar oils from the wrappers really start to come out and u can actually see some of the cigars get a nice sheen on them. I actually just bought 30 Olde World Reserve Maduros and have other maduros mixed in as well, I can't wait to see how these smoke w/ some age on them.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It has been my experience that very few non-Cuban cigars need to be aged. As others have said, some cigars do well with age, Camacho comes to mind, while still others are best enjoyed fresh. I try to give a few weeks to settle, but after that all my cigars are fair game. One cigar in particular that is great fresh and even better with age is the La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet, I've had my Cab for almost 18 months and they keep getting better.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    It has been my experience that very few non-Cuban cigars need to be aged. As others have said, some cigars do well with age, Camacho comes to mind, while still others are best enjoyed fresh. I try to give a few weeks to settle, but after that all my cigars are fair game. One cigar in particular that is great fresh and even better with age is the La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet, I've had my Cab for almost 18 months and they keep getting better.

OMG ... Joe you had to say LFD Cameroon Cab didn't you ...this might be my Thursday smoke they are delicious
  • Options
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

OMG ... Joe you had to say LFD Cameroon Cab didn't you ...this might be my Thursday smoke they are delicious
    What can I say Gene? That has been the most consistently awesome cigar I've had....a lot of cigars lose something for me after I've had a few, but this is one that I like more and more each time.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

What can I say Gene? That has been the most consistently awesome cigar I've had....a lot of cigars lose something for me after I've had a few, but this is one that I like more and more each time.

I have to agree with you on that one Joe ...I cant go into the one B&M near me that carries them without getting a few hahaha ...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

I have to agree with you on that one Joe ...I cant go into the one B&M near me that carries them without getting a few hahaha ...
    That's awesome that your B&M has them...the one I go to doesn't have anything close to that good of a cigar...and they do have some pretty good ones. Shoot, if I had known how scarce they were going to get, I would have bought 2 boxes back when the gettin was good.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

Yeah, Joe, and Geno, LFD Cam.Cab #1 . I have two left, and it looks like one of them just got placed on Death Row ! These both came from Big Joe, thanks again buddy.
  • Options

j0z3r:

Time to stop by my local B&M...

• Options
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

That's awesome that your B&M has them...the one I go to doesn't have anything close to that good of a cigar...and they do have some pretty good ones. Shoot, if I had known how scarce they were going to get, I would have bought 2 boxes back when the gettin was good.
    Idk about the Cameroon Cabinet, but my B&M currently has a box of Double Ligeros, and they're on sale =)
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Here is a great video from the History Channel on Mr. Fuente (Opus X) and his cigars, aging, and other awesome information!!
  • Options
    T. Gervais:
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

Idk about the Cameroon Cabinet, but my B&M currently has a box of Double Ligeros, and they're on sale =)
    If they have the Cameroon Cabinet at your B&M, you'd be doing yourself a big favor to pick one up, they are seriously outstanding. I'd say as far as La Flor goes, the Cam. Cabinet is rivaled only by the Double Ligero lancero. My opinion of course, so take it for what it's worth.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    Here is a great video from the History Channel on Mr. Fuente (Opus X) and his cigars, aging, and other awesome information!!
    I loved this video..

I downloaded from some Torrent site, I had no idea what it was, but it's a DVD from Habanos S.A. the Cuban Tobacco distributor, and it's phenomenal!!! Totally well done with videos and graphs and interactiveness... awesome!
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    nightmaremike31:
    I loved this video..

I downloaded from some Torrent site, I had no idea what it was, but it's a DVD from Habanos S.A. the Cuban Tobacco distributor, and it's phenomenal!!! Totally well done with videos and graphs and interactiveness... awesome!

Lassy, you don't by chance have the info on how someone, like myself, would be able to locate this Habanos S.A. video, and also enjoy the videos and graphs and interactiveness? Would ya? You can PM me and I would be most appreciative, kind sir.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    Lasabar:
    nightmaremike31:
    I loved this video..

Lassy, you don't by chance have the info on how someone, like myself, would be able to locate this Habanos S.A. video, and also enjoy the videos and graphs and interactiveness? Would ya? You can PM me and I would be most appreciative, kind sir.
    It's a rather large file, but I'll see if I can find a link or something... if anything else I'll see if i can burn it to a disc