Home Cigar 101

new cigar smoker

I am currently deployed and have been doing alot of research on starting the cigar smoking hobby. I would like some help on choosing my first few cigars any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I'm deployed right now too. Where are you? I'll send you a little sampler to get you started with some for now while you choose what else you want.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. I'd start off with something mild because even a strong medium stick could seem a little too much at first, don't wanna have a bad experience right off the bat! 5 Vegas gold, Romeo y Julieta, Oliva connecticut are some nice mild smokes. Enjoy!
  • sl1cksl1ck Posts: 6
    iam currently at al udied ab where are you
    I am in Baghram, Afghanistan. PM me your address and I'll try to get something headed your way. Do you have a humidor or anything to keep your smokes in?
    not yet just getting into it i was thinking of just using a rubbermaid container for now
    That is something that you are def. going to need, especialy in Iraq as it is insanely dry there. If you do a search of the forum you will find different threads about humidors, humidity, humidifires and hygrometers. There is so much good information on this forum. If you have any questions specific to cigars down range you can post them here and I will try to answer your questions the best I can. When you get your first order, post what you got and I will send you some different smokes to try. I would send some right away, but I have been recovering from humidity issues and my sticks are still a little ripe. If you send me a PM let me know how ong you have left in country and what your job is and all that if you can. Good luck, and happy smoking! oh, and Happy Holidays too :)
    thanks cant wait for my first order need to get a humidor first though is there any specific smoke you would suggest
    I suggest calling in tomorrow if you can and talking with Jeff Jackson. Tell him Evan Jenne sent you his way and he will hook you up. You can email him as well: JJackson@cigar.com. He has hooked me up so many times and he is a really great guy. He will know some good smokes to get you started with.
    thanks for the help and i will try to contact him tomorow
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums. If you are just getting into cigars, one I would recommend is the Perdomo Reserve Champagne. It's a milder cigar, but is very smooth and creamy with a pleasant taste. One of my favorite mild cigars and a good one to get you into the hobby.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Before I throw in my $.02, let me first say THANK YOU for your service, both of you!

Sounds like you will be covered as far as recommendations go between EJ and Jeff at ccom. Anyway, some milds that I liked when I was starting out and still like today are Verdadero Organinc, Rocky Patel Connecticut, and any of the Cigar.com House Blend connecticut wrappers are nice economical smokes (purple and blue labels - I think?). Montesino by Fuente maduro is a great little mild smoke and a good introduction to maduro wrappers at a good price IMHO. Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 is another good mild maduro, although it may be a little closer to medium body than the aforementioned sticks. Hope you enjoy whatever you get and welcome!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a small vinotemp..? When I was over there it was crazy for the elements, though I didn't smoke cigars then. I wasn't a fan of the perdomo champagne, maybe a CAO america. That's a good cigar that I think most people would enjoy.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭

I second the Ccom house blends as a starter. For me, the sampler pack they offered really helped me distinguish tobaccos from the various regions.

Welcome to the forums and prepare to say goodbye to your wallet.

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for serving. I would look for the daily deals when the have mild or medium samplers. Give them a try to see what you might like.

Welcome aboard!
    YankeeMan:
    Thank you for serving. I would look for the daily deals when the have mild or medium samplers. Give them a try to see what you might like.

Welcome aboard!
    There was actualy a nice La Aroma deal the other day, when you talk to Jeff see if he can hook you up with that. That is a good one, and they are all mild or medium.
    thanks for the help everyone cant wait till i get a humidor and first order of smokes!!!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    First off thank you. Second welcome to the sport....
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Maybe a small vinotemp..? When I was over there it was crazy for the elements, though I didn't smoke cigars then. I wasn't a fan of the perdomo champagne, maybe a CAO america. That's a good cigar that I think most people would enjoy.
    Ditto. I didn't really like the Champagne. Definately can't go wrong with house blend sampler.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    CAO!!?? Bleh!! You guys don't like my cigar and I don't like your cigar...we can't be e-friends anymore. I'm taking my cigars and going home. *storms off*
  • I was in Iraq in 2005 and I had a Navy Corspman who smoked cigars and he used an ammo can with the toilet paper from MRE's as a makeshift humidor.

LetsgoSteelers:
    I was in Iraq in 2005 and I had a Navy Corspman who smoked cigars and he used an ammo can with the toilet paper from MRE's as a makeshift humidor.
    HAHAHAHA I love it!! I am going to set that up when I get home!I am near the end of my second trip to Afghanistan, I am sure I can smuggle back a .50cal can or two... :-)
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I just wanted to put another one up here for you but first I want to thank you for defending our country. There is one line I think should be mentioned. 5 Vegas is a great line to start with. There cheap so it doesnt hurt the wallet if you find one you dont like. The Gold is a good Mild and the Classic has become my go to lately.