Home Cigar 101

Stupid Question?

Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
I am sure this is a dumb question but I am going to ask anyways. I picked up a couple of AVO #2's today and they came in tubes. Should I keep them in the tubes once I have them in the humidor or should I take them out? Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Dustin1981:
    I am sure this is a dumb question but I am going to ask anyways. I picked up a couple of AVO #2's today and they came in tubes. Should I keep them in the tubes once I have them in the humidor or should I take them out? Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.

Hey Dustin , its mostly personal preference however all my tubed cigars I leave in the tube. I feel thats the way the mfg intended them to be stored and I'm sure they are smarter about their cigars than I am ;) ...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I keep mine in the tubos. There are a couple of reasons, the main one being that the tubo protects the cigar from any damage. To a certain degree, I think a lot of tubos are about aesthetics, I mean they sure do look attractive, don't they? Another point is that the tubo allows the cigar to age independently of outside factors, such as surrounding cigars, Spanish cedar lining, etc..., all of which can influence to overall taste of the cigar over time. But as Gene said, it comes down to what you want to do with them.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I leave mine in. But once I'm done smoking the cigar I keep the tube and use it when I go play golf to keep my cigars from getting damaged in my golf bag. I also use them for mailing single sticks to friends.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Dustin1981:
    Don't Worry about the question.... But Leave the cigar in the Tubo for any amount of time!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dustin, there are no dumb questions. If you want to know something, just ask. Someone here will have an answer for you or point you in the right direction.

I do as Clearlysuspect does. I leave them in the tube and keep the empties for use when I'm carrying one or two cigars somewhere. More than that, I have samll herfador that I use so my cigars are protected.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I leave them in the tubes also but I take the cap off to allow some humidification to get at them. The only ones I've ever taken out of the tubos are the box of Gurkha Black Dragons that I recently acquired and that was only to save space in my coolidor. It's getting kinda full lately.

Marty

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    I leave mine in. But once I'm done smoking the cigar I keep the tube and use it when I go play golf to keep my cigars from getting damaged in my golf bag. I also use them for mailing single sticks to friends.
    That's a great idea about sending singles. I'm gonna start saving my tubes now. Thx!

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Yeah, I leave them in the tubes also but I take the cap off to allow some humidification to get at them. The only ones I've ever taken out of the tubos are the box of Gurkha Black Dragons that I recently acquired and that was only to save space in my coolidor. It's getting kinda full lately.

Marty

I had some makers marks one time and left them in the tube, but didn't really understand how humidty could get to them so I took them out.

"Long ashes my friends."