Home General Discussion

Chestnut Humidor Build

I am making this humidor out of Wormy American Chestnut, an extinct wood, and Macassar Ebony. The Wormy Chestnut is already at least 65 years old, as the tree became extinct back in the 1940's. Chestnut was an American mainstay until the blight fungus wiped out the species.... This board needed some TLC before we started cutting.... I reinforced the knot holes, where the knots have long fallen out, with epoxy.... image Then, I cut and dimensioned and laminated some Macassar Ebony, just in the right spots.... image I plan on doing a cove cut on the lid on this one. I wanted to put a thin strip of ebony in the lid.... and also provide some effect on the cove.... this, operation, of course.... would have to be drawn up to make sure it was going to work.... image Here she sits - nothing glued.... I still need to work the lid some - cut the Spanish Cedar for the bottom.... and glue the box up! This is going to be 15-1/8" x 11.5" x about 6.5" deep.... not sure of the depth yet. This is going to clean up, real good!!! image Stay tuned!

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    do you or have you ever used myrtlewood? i'm sure it's pretty rare over there as it only grows over here
  • I've seen it around.... Haven't worked with it yet... but, I'm sure it's workable..... I just picked up a nice piece of Hickory... will be a nice looking box as well...
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Come on up to colorful Colorado and get as much beatle kill pine as you want. I have seen some cabinets made from this wood, pretty damn nice. Your workmanship is as beautiful as your wood Waxing.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    Come on up to colorful Colorado and get as much beatle kill pine as you want. I have seen some cabinets made from this wood, pretty damn nice. Your workmanship is as beautiful as your wood Waxing.
    hehe, you said his wood is beautiful hehe /beavis&butthead
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    firetruckguy:
    FLUFFER!!!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    firetruckguy:
    FLUFFER!!!
    HA, I was wondering who the first would be... lol. Can't wait to see the thing finished!
  • wow waxing. that is awesome! i always wanted to make my own humi but never have had the time.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    firetruckguy:
    FLUFFER!!!
    HA, I was wondering who the first would be... lol. Can't wait to see the thing finished!
    Say the word WOOD in the wrong place and all hell breaks loose!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Don't mention the wax job on the wood...
  • I had a good day in the shop today. Put everything together and did a cove in the lid.... Sanded down a little... Tomorrow, we get to cut the lid off. Still have to glue the lid in, but---it's a good fit. image