Home Cigar 101

Florida Humidor. To humidify or not to humidify.

I've been using an analog Hygrometer for years now. A couple of months ago I decided to go digital. I bought the set they offer here on cigar.com (digi hygrometer and the square humidifier).

The first thing I did when the package arrived was to calibrate the hygro (salt test).
Then I installed both into my 75 ct. humidor.

Two days later the RH was still steady at 78%. So I took out the humidifier. Now two months later the RH is steady at 70% (and still without a humidifier).

I understand it's great to have a 70% rh but the question remains... is it ok to have the humidor without a humidifier or should I do something to bring down the humidity and reinstall the humidifier?

Oh yea, I live in Florida - very humid to say the least.

Comments

• smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    First off let me welcome you to the forums. We've got a really great bunch of guys and girls here. Now about your humidity problem. The way I see it is 70% is 70%. Ive always been a "If it aint broke then dont fix it" kinda guy, but you could throw a few Boveda packets in there to stabilize it.
  • Thanks for the warm welcome smbrink! Looking forward to meeting all.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... 70% is fine. Unless you want to be super picky and bring it down into the 65-67 range like some do. There's nothing wrong with that. But I tend to agree, if it aint broke don't fix it. You'll save yourself some money too that you can spend on more cigars.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    When I was in Hawaii, I didn't have to use any humidification in my humidors either. As a matter of fact, sometimes it would go over 70% with no humidifier in, it was harder trying to keep it below the 70% mark than anything.
  • Thanks for the replies. To Alienmisprint: How long were you in Hawaii e.g. how long were the cigars in Hawaii? Without a humidifier? And did you notice any problems or anomalies with the cigars?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The humidity beads that most of us use work two ways: they give off humidity or absorb humidity to keep the humidor close to a certain RH all the time. If your humidity gets too high you might want some beads to help bring it down. A high RH can make for difficult burning and smoking, not to mention mold. The boveda packs work the same way, I think, I don't use them. Welcome to the forum.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Welcom. As was just said, I would run some beads as they will keep the humidity from going too high as well as too low.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    sandraos:
    Thanks for the replies. To Alienmisprint: How long were you in Hawaii e.g. how long were the cigars in Hawaii? Without a humidifier? And did you notice any problems or anomalies with the cigars?
    About six months, and no, no issues at all. I did have the crystal jars on hand, I just never needed to put them in the humidor. If I recall correctly, I did put them in once or twice when the outside humidity dropped due to weather, but that was only a one or two day deal.
  • Thanks for all the tips. I looked at the Boveda website. Exactly what I need. I always used my humidor as a cigar container. Never really worried about humidity. All I had in there were $5 sticks. Now that my cigars are turning into an extensive collection - including Opus Xs Lost City, Cohibas Genios (Cuba), and Davidoff Aniversario - I do worry about mold and [G-d forbid] beetles.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    alienmisprint:
    When I was in Hawaii, I didn't have to use any humidification in my humidors either. As a matter of fact, sometimes it would go over 70% with no humidifier in, it was harder trying to keep it below the 70% mark than anything.
    you know, I was just about to ask you about storing your sticks when you lived in Hawaii. I figured that you would have to drop the humidity somehow, with like rice or something.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Jdorais:
    alienmisprint:
    you know, I was just about to ask you about storing your sticks when you lived in Hawaii. I figured that you would have to drop the humidity somehow, with like rice or something.
    Rice? Just buy some 65% humidity beads. If they get too moist, take them out and dry them off with a hair dryer on the low setting. The beads will absorb the moisture from the humidor and you can better regulate the rH.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    TatuajeVI:
    Jdorais:
    alienmisprint:
    Rice? Just buy some 65% humidity beads. If they get too moist, take them out and dry them off with a hair dryer on the low setting. The beads will absorb the moisture from the humidor and you can better regulate the rH.
    a dry 65% tube. DUH. Why didn't I think of that.