Home Cigar 101
Options

Jar humidity

I got my brother a cigar jar for his bday awhile back, and he brought it with him over new years, so I dropped my digi hygro in it just to check how it was performing...when I checked it just now the humidity is 78%!!! I know that the hygro is accurate, cause I use it all the time in my humi. The only thing in there is about 15 sticks and 1 humi-care pack. That really scares me, cause I'm having trouble keeping my humidity over 62 in my regular humidors right now with the dry weather. When summer comes around his sticks are gonna mold fast. He hadn't been enjoying the sticks I bought him, and I couldn't figure it out, now I know why...

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I do believe it's the Jar's ability to be air tight.... that is what can make them always raise the humidity.

I'd see if you can find a cheap tube of beads, for at least they will take IN excess moisture and release it when the time is right.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Yup, I had a jar when I first started and it was very, very easy to over-humidify. They're just like travel humis: air tight and don't breath at all. I had to constantly keep an eye on the RH and keep it cracked for a while to keep the thing on track (in addition to removing the humidifier)...until I finally got a real humidor. They can work with a lot of effort until a real humidor is bought but they need constant attention.