Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Man O War

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Well, I tried smoking a Man O War on Saturday night. It started out really good, but that night it got down to 15 degrees...in GA! My cigar didn't like the cold all that well and actually unraveled on me. From what I could taste, it wasn't a bad cigar. Next time, I won't smoke 1st time cigars in extreme enviroments.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    Sound plan. MoW is one of my favorite smokes so far, and have yet to have any construction problems.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    MoW is a phenominal cigar. I have had many of them and not had any problems at all. I would def. say it had to do with the weather. I can't smoke anymore until I get home becuase as soon as my sticks hit the cold weather here they go CRAZY!
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Are we talking about the regular MoW? I haven't tried that yet. I tried out the Ruination Belicoso right out of the mail last month. It was good. Wasn't as strong as I expected. Still strong, but I was expecting more power. Good flavor and I loved the aroma. For a Habano wrapped cigar (not my favorite wrapper) I really liked it. A bit pricy, but worth it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    Are we talking about the regular MoW? I haven't tried that yet. I tried out the Ruination Belicoso right out of the mail last month. It was good. Wasn't as strong as I expected. Still strong, but I was expecting more power. Good flavor and I loved the aroma. For a Habano wrapped cigar (not my favorite wrapper) I really liked it. A bit pricy, but worth it.
    really? I had one right from the mail and it was rather strong. probably the strongest I've ever had.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think the robusto #1 is stronger than the belicoso, I also think it has a better flavor. The ones I've had that were rested for a few months seemed stronger to me than one smoked fresh out of the mail.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I think the robusto #1 is stronger than the belicoso, I also think it has a better flavor. The ones I've had that were rested for a few months seemed stronger to me than one smoked fresh out of the mail.
    That's what you said before. I might bring one out come march and give it a shot. I see potential though.
  • Options
    What Coop said exactly.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The MOW is an exceptional cigar in all forms.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I have this hilarious image of Kreig freezing to death, attempting to enjoy a cigar, yelling at the cold, "Damn you COLD! Is that all you got?! I'll smoke this thing no matter how cold it gets!" And POOF! His cigar unravels. Lol.
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I've got a couple of those left, and enjoy them when I'm looking for something strong. That and a cup of black coffee, fantastic. I'm not sure if cold would cause problems? I actually keep a cigar in the garage, smoke an inch or two, and relight it the next day. I've had very good luck with that method this winter. The garage stays at about 20, it's been around 10 below outside...
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    I have this hilarious image of Kreig freezing to death, attempting to enjoy a cigar, yelling at the cold, "Damn you COLD! Is that all you got?! I'll smoke this thing no matter how cold it gets!" And POOF! His cigar unravels. Lol.
    HA! Thing is, I smoked a RP Decade right before I tried the MoW and didn't have any issues...but I still think it was the cold that did in the smoke.

If it weren't for the fire right behind me, I probably would have froze to death with that stick in my mouth!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    15 degrees in GA??????? Man we got problems when people in Georgia are freezing their butts off - literally..... I hate this cold weather in Chicago even more since I started smoking stoges.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I was a bit dissappointed in the MoWs I've tried so far. I was expecting more from them. Now the Ruination, I have not tried that blend yet, and I hear its a much better cigar.

Perhaps I will get a few more regular MoW and let them rest for a few months to a year and see if that enlivens them.
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    I just had my first MoW...loved it!! Glad I have several left to enjoy!! It had a beautiful wrapper, the construction was flawless. It had a nice even burn, except for immediately following ashing which I had to 'correct' afterwards. The flavor was good and the body was just right. Very good stick!
  • Options
    Just goes to show the differences in taste. I think i'd punch my mom in the kidney if she got in the way of one of my MoW's. Well, maybe not.
  • Options
    Cooper33:
    Just goes to show the differences in taste. I think i'd punch my mom in the kidney if she got in the way of one of my MoW's. Well, maybe not.
    lol, I have a ruination...how do u like that one?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    Cooper33:
    lol, I have a ruination...how do u like that one?
    I'm not sure, I've only gotten one so far and I'm letting it age :)
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I liked it, Id smoke it again. Im not rushing out to have or buy some more, but if the right deal came along I would.
  • Options
    I thought it was an excellent smoke. I will definately add them to my rotation. The Ruination is still resting.
  • Options
    The Ruination after some short aging is one fine cigar
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    fla-gypsy:
    Both are regulars in my humi. The Ruination is more of a "treat" as it has some nice sweet nuances going on in it.
    I have bought both by the box. Like most A J Fernandez sticks these ROCK !
  • Options
    laker1963:
    fla-gypsy:
    Both are regulars in my humi. The Ruination is more of a "treat" as it has some nice sweet nuances going on in it.
    I have bought both by the box. Like most A J Fernandez sticks these ROCK !
    I think AJ is a genius and I agree, the Ruination is a special treat for me as well. Both of the MOW blends are just fantastic. Anything he touches seems to turn to gold.
  • Options
    taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    Both the Man O War and the Ruination are amongst my favorite cigars. They have good flavor and so far have been consistent in their construction- I have yet to have a bad one. I'm looking forward to trying the Man O War Special Edition.
  • Options
    Thanks to Goldy, I have a couple of MoW to try again. Like I said before, the first one i had i smoked in 10 degree weather and it just fell apart...so i wanted to give it another chance. I can't wait to smoke these, I will probably go to the cigar bar...nice safe enviroment to enjoy them.

"Long ashes my friends."